Author Topic: Shot the 50-140 this W/E  (Read 798 times)

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
Shot the 50-140 this W/E
« on: October 22, 2012, 06:56:16 AM »
After we finished the morning hunt Saturday I tried to bore sight the 510 Sharps Express (AKA 50-140 Sharps).   ;)   For some reason I ran out of (negative) elevation and (right) windage!   :(   I hope a new set of Signature Zees with offset inserts should take care of that...  :-\

But I wasn't about to let that stop me from shooting that rifle!  So I loaded one of the 470 gr. cast loads in the chamber and let fly!   ;D   My first words to my 3 hunting buddies was Hell!  That ain't bad at all!   8)   I don't know what I was expecting... it was a cream puff load.

The three of them were sitting there with fingers in their ears, slack jawed and eyes bugged out!   :D   They all refused the offer I made to let them shoot it...  ::)
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Shot the 50-140 this W/E
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 08:14:11 AM »
I used to pull that one too Richard!  Just suck it up like your shoulder ain't broke and your brain didn't turn to jello!  Share the fun!  Unfortunately, all my buddies have been had, and won't even shoot a 22LR if I hand it to them.  Wusses.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 08:48:56 AM »
cream puff load?!?! :o    Send me you dies, brass and bullets and I will return you some non-wuss loads. ::)   ;D   Glad you got to shoot your new rifle and hopefully you will be able to post target pics soon.

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 09:03:59 AM »
... all my buddies have been had, and won't even shoot a 22LR if I hand it to them.  Wusses.

Hee hee...  :P  Wuss is right!  I got them boys to shoot a round each outa my 500 S&W once and they whined for an hour!   ::)

Send me you dies,

cummon Tom!  you started this 50-140 stuff by finding me those dies in the first place!   ::)

I will return you some non-wuss loads.

I can work those up very nicely by myself thank you very much!   ;)  'specially with Tim's ground work!   ;D  And I mean really!   ::)  How much more can a 570 gr. bullet @ 2200 fps kick then a 470 gr. bullet @ 2000 fps!?   ???  we only talkin 100 gr. heavier and 200 fps faster!   :P
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 09:13:39 AM »
Now that I think on it, this is the first time a rifle has ever stung my shoulder...  :-\  The only pistol to ever do it was a 480 Ruger...  :-\

Lessee here 10   lb. rifle, Limbsaver recoil pad...  :-\  Nope, shouldn't a stung at all!   :-\

Oh I know what it was!   :o   I was shooting left handed!  ::)   Probably the first time that shoulder has ever felt recoil!   ;D
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 11:44:02 AM »
Way to go Richard, congrats finally!!  ;D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 12:31:03 PM »
Glad you got the "little darlin" going! Do you think it will drop a Ga deer with a 500gr or do you need to go with a heavier bullet?
 I would bet a cold one on it dropping the deer after it passes thru a game warden's vehicle ;D
Happy Trails
George
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline tykempster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • I enjoy long range shooting and big guns.
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 01:40:48 PM »
Look forward to hearing more, how about some video of heavier loads?

Offline cudatruck

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 09:12:43 AM »
put me down in the "wuss" catagory. You guys are NUTS! I am glad to live in a country where anyone willing to spend the time and money gets to play with just about what ever they want. Video of you guys shooting these shoulder cannons and destroying some semi hard target down range is the ticket. We would all love to see this. Keep up the good work.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 09:23:21 AM »
I know of a couple good spine and shoulder surgeons when you are ready Richard.......

Ben

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 09:30:26 AM »
how about some video of heavier loads?

Okay Ty.  I'll do it just because you asked!   ;D   Um, wait... how do you make videos?   ???   I wonder if my camera takes videos...  :-\   I know my cell phone does...  But I gotta figure out how to get it, the video that is, from the camera, assuming the camera does take videos, to the computer, then to the forum...  :'(

I'm glad I got a new mason jar full of that good ol' slap yo momma likker this weekend...  :P

And Ben, I just use it, the likker that is, to rub on my shoulder like lin-a-mint!  Real good pain killer don't cha know!  'course, in times of extreme stress... or pain... or celebration... I even been know to take a sip!    ::)
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 09:33:02 AM »
Just be careful...that stuff out of mason jars is made to run cars......
Ben

Offline frgerald

• Trade Count: (56)
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 10:36:07 AM »
How about a photo of that loaded round standing next to a known caliber like say a 45-70.??  :o
Food is God's love made edible!

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 11:03:06 AM »
I think Tim already has one he posted in another thread...  :-\   Maybe he'll post it again!   ;)
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline Hodr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
  • Blinded by law
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 04:05:14 AM »
Hello Atlaw,
I load for a H&R short barrel 45-70 and cannot get any of my relatives to try plinking with it.  This may be because the first loads I let them shoot were the biggest Buffalo Bore I could get.  I have since added a limbsaver and load Trailboss under collar button bullets.  This is great for the smaller jack rabbits here in Az.
As for the SlapYoMommaEverclear, Mom had a hairbrush and a 30-30.  I never had to face the 30-30 growing up but I for sure had more than one session with that hairbrush when I was growing up.  Mom was second generation, red haired, Irish and knew how to handle young boys, trespassers and the bear hunting truck drivers that ate in her restraunt.  Not many worried about the 30-30 but no one, and I mean no one, wanted to see that hairbrush when her Irish was up.

Hodr
TANSTAAFL

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2012, 04:15:13 AM »
How about a photo of that loaded round standing next to a known caliber like say a 45-70.??  :o

Here ya go.  ;D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline frgerald

• Trade Count: (56)
  • Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2012, 10:04:10 AM »
Unless you fellas have found a version of Jurassic Park somewhere down in Ga., that just HAS to be one of those "Seemed like a good idea at the time" thingees!! ;D   That is some kinda ordinance.   :o :o   Not to mention being waaaay cool!! 8)
Food is God's love made edible!

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2012, 10:33:26 AM »
Hey, we got's big game in Ga.  You should see our squirrels.  Why I betcha' Richard could take on the South Ga. Possum enlargious with that one.

Ben