Author Topic: Advice Needed - New Scope for 8mm Rem Mag  (Read 568 times)

Offline wsjones

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Advice Needed - New Scope for 8mm Rem Mag
« on: October 13, 2012, 04:09:21 AM »
I was (am) a confirmed believer in getting a decent, servicable scope for the rifle de jour, but not a person willing to spend the same amount of $$ for scope as the latest rifle.

And I've never had a problem with inexpensive scopes if they work for my purposes. Example I bought a Winchester 70 Classic 300 Win Mag back in 1995 just as soon as they came out with the stainless/synthetic BOSS model and then stuck a Tasco World Class 2.5-10x44 on it and have never been disappointed since.

In 1998 I 'needed' an 8 Mag Remington 700 Classic and, since Tasco didn't have the same scope available, put a then-current 3-9Xx44 'World Class Plus' on it and shot it on and off since with no problems.

A recent hunt with other rifles made me think I really needed that 8 Mag, and maybe with a scope with both more magnification and somewhat better optics.

After a bad experience with the price point Tasco's about 10 years ago I've gone to Nikon ProStaff's, a couple of higher end Simmon's,and 1 Redfield Revolution and 1 Nitrex, all of which have been fine.

Long prelude to my question: Go with a Nikon ProStaff 4-12x40 for the 8 Mag (220 gr bullets @~3000 fps and pretty sharp recoil) or just suck it up and get a Monarch 3-12x42 or Nikon VX-II?  I also considered Vortex Diamondback and Redfield Revenge but they didn't make the list due to insufficient eye relief.

I contacted Nikon CS via email about recoil tolerance and their responses were just ignorant ('all of our scopes are designed for magnum or muzzle loader recoil' and, after asking if their scopes' recoil tolerance differed between the various product lines, as opposed to optics and features, they said 'check the specs at Nikonsportoptics.com'). Helpful.

So, go inexpensive or step up? Anyone with experience, positive or negative, with any of these scopes on similar rifles, e.g., 340 Weatherby, 300 & 338 Rem. Ultra Mag, etc., please chime in.

Thanks. -WSJ

Offline Drilling Man

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Advice Needed - New Scope for 8mm Rem Mag
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 06:35:24 AM »
  I believe in buying scopes that will last a life time, no matter the weather OR recoil!

These days i've started buying Zeiss Conquest 3x9's.  They are the best low light level scope i've found for any where what they cost, and you can buy one right now for just under $400.00.  That's a scope that will last a life time, you won't out grow it, and for a GREAT price!

DM

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 11:13:48 AM »
my 8mag wears a 3x9 vx2 leupold. it gets the job done and has enough eye relief for a heavy kicker.
blue lives matter

Offline FPH

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 11:21:50 AM »
I have everything from old Weavers to Redfields to a VIII on large caliber rifles.  I have been able to get proper eye relief with all of them.

Offline wsjones

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 04:09:32 AM »
Well I ebay-ed a solution to my own query last night: a good price on a Monarch 3-12x42, Nikoplex reticle.

Looked long and hard at a VX-2 (and VX-II, but couldn't see not going for the newer model if I got a Leupold) but finally went with the Monarch for the magnification range, eye relief, and positive comments about optics. And the fact that it's almost half a pound heavier than a VX-2 was a positive for this rifle. 

I looked into the Conquest and the 3-9x40 did indeed seem like a great price.  But I wanted a bit more magnification and moving up the Zeiss line put that scope out my price range.

We'll see how I like the side focus, which is a first for me.  Thanks for the input.  -WSJ

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 02:33:16 PM »
im sure you will be happy with it. I sure like my monarchs.
blue lives matter

Offline wsjones

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 04:53:48 PM »
The other thing that tipped the balance toward the Monarch was Nikon's response to a failed 3-9x40 ProStaff that I recently sent back for service/repair/replacement.  Although Leupold's warranty support and customer service are legendary, and Nikon's warranty sure sounds good, I'd read quite a few posts here and there that Nikon's real world warranty support was not quite all it could be.

In my case I'd bought a new ProStaff in 2004, right after they were introduced I believe, and mounted it on a new Rem. 700 CDL 35 Whelen (the CDL was likewise newly introduced and at that time only available as a Grice Guns speical edition item).  I've used both the rifle and scope plenty since with no issues until this past month when the scope's focus and ability to hold zero went south.

Although I did not still have my original box or receipt, I had registered the scope with Nikon for warranty purposes, and so sent it back for service or whatever.  I put it in the mail on 10/3, got an email and service order number from them on 10/5, was notified on 10/12 that the scope was being replaced with the current generation ProStaff, and that it had shipped on 10/15.  It arrived yesterday.

So I was very satisfied with their level of warranty support and customer service on an entry level scope that was 8 years old.  That experience certainly made the Monarch decision a bit easier.

-WSJ

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 12:14:06 AM »
nikons customer service has been excellent to me too!
blue lives matter