Author Topic: South Carolina-made Model 70 Super Grade  (Read 4739 times)

Offline while99

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
South Carolina-made Model 70 Super Grade
« on: May 11, 2010, 07:07:40 PM »
 ;)
I just picked up the subject Super Grade in .30/06.  The previous owner had bought it new and only put about 30 rounds through it but wanted his money out of it for another project.  The fit and finish seem to be as good as anything USRAC turned out and the new trigger seems to be crisp enough and nearly free of any creep.

I have a Leupold 6X ready to be mounted on the rifle and, if the weather is good on Saturday, I'll take it to the range and run a few different factory loads through it.   

Offline while99

• Contributor
Re: South Carolina-made Model 70 Super Grade
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 08:56:37 PM »
I took the rifle to the range and got it on paper at 100 yards, shooting Remington 150-grain pointed Core-Lokts.  It was far too windy to do any serious testing but, if I can get to the range during a calm day, I'll run a half-dozen different factory loads through it to see if it has a preference of bullet weight or manufacturer.

Offline robert4570

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 08:58:57 PM »
Lookin to buy the same rifle ,give a range report when possible.
NRA BENEFACTOR
United Sportsmen of America

Offline while99

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 09:41:30 AM »
Robert4570, I wish I had more to report.  I've taken the rifle to the range a few times and fired various factory loads through it.  No bad groups but no really great ones either.

The new trigger takes some getting used to.  It's heavier than the other Model 70s that I own but it is crisp.  I wish they hadn't changed it but it was probably "lawyer-driven". 

Time permitting, I'd like to run some handloads through it this weekend and file another report.

Offline robert4570

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 02:06:32 PM »
Hey While99 ,
Thanks for following up on the rifle.
Hope you're not dissapointed with it , they seem to be fine rifles. I'm almost ready to buy mine . Might go with a .338Win mag now that they are offering that caliber.
Will post results as possible.
NRA BENEFACTOR

Offline while99

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 03:04:56 PM »
Robert4570,

I FINALLY got to the range today with the new Super Grade and fired a few random handloads through it.  The groups were strung horizontally from 1 1/4 to about 2 " but the vertical dispersion was less than 3/4" of an inch.

I think I have a bedding problem and will probably pull the barreled action out of the stock and add some Brownell's steel bed at the tang and the recoil lug area.  If that doesn't solve it, I'll add some bedding compound out at the forend.

The only thing I don't like about the rifle is the new trigger.  The pull is pretty heavy so I'll probably adjust that when I do the bedding work.  It is heavier than I like but that was probably lawyer-mandated and no fault of FN.   It is pretty crisp though, very little creep.

Let me know when you get your new .338 and we can compare notes.

Offline robert4570

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 04:10:10 PM »
What a coincidence I called for a quote on a .338 this evening.
It was almost closing so he's going to call me with a quote tommorrow.
I'm definitely going with the .338 even though I wanted one in .300 win mag , but have 5 other bolt actions in that caliber.

As soon as she's in and scoped I'll post an update.
Thanks for the follow up , hope you're able to resolve the issue with yours.

Robert
NRA BENEFACTOR

Offline Rangr44

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 07:55:03 AM »
I ordered a new 1991 SG in .338, then somewhat foolishly sold it to get the next latest/greatest, etc.

I've always missed the styling on that rifle's stock, and wanted to buy a replacement - but have held off, because Winchester's changed the SG stock lines every few years, and I haven't liked the changes as much as that 1991 Classic.

There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !

Offline while99

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 03:31:10 PM »
Well, I finally got around to working with this rifle again.  I re-bedded the tang, recoil lug, and forearm with Brownell's Accra-glass gel and then mounted a 6X Leupold on an EGW Picatinney rail with Weaver rings.
I fired three, 3-shot groups at 100 yards today with three different types of factory ammo and all groups were 1 1/4" or less.  The ammo used was 150-grain Remington pointed Core-Lokt, and Federal blue box in both 150- and 180-grain weights.  The points of impact were nearly identical for all groups. 
The next order of business is to load up a box of 180-grain Hornady spire points.  What little testing I did with that bullet previously indicated that it will work pretty well in this rifle.
My estimation is that this rifle will shoot well enough to be a keeper.

Offline robert4570

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 04:17:00 PM »
Hey While ,
You done alot work on that rifle ,it should serve you well.
I bought a Feather Weight , blue , 300 win mag , walnut .
Great shooting rifle .
Good luck with yours .
NRA BENEFACTOR

Offline while99

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 05:04:30 PM »
Robert, thanks for your input.  It took a little time to get used to the new trigger but I really liked the fit and finish of this rifle from the get go and now I like the accuracy too.
I should be able to load a box of 180 spire points this week and give another range report.

Offline while99

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 05:12:54 PM »
Robert, I fired two, 3-shot groups today using 180-grain Hornady spire points and IMR-4007 powder.  They measured 1&1/4" and 5/8", so I'm going to call it a keeper. 

Offline robert4570

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 05:48:45 PM »
That rifle is back strap certified !!
I'd say you're done ,good job .
NRA BENEFACTOR

Offline while99

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2011, 08:00:46 PM »
Back-strap certified.  That's a good one; I never heard that one before.
I might try some 165 Hornadys out of this rifle also.  The 180s shoot well enough but I'm just quisical by nature.

Offline while99

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 11:43:34 AM »
I made one last test today using three types of ammo.  With Fiocchi 150-grain hardball, I got a group at 100 yards that measured 1&3/8" inches.
With 165 Hornadys, the group fired at that same distance measured 7/8".
With 180-grain Hornadys the group measured 7/16".  That's the first sub-half-inch group I've shot with this rifle.   
I'm sticking with the 180 Hornadys; those buggers shoot.

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2011, 03:42:02 AM »
Your report is very similar to my recent experiences with a Super Grade in .325 WSM. I've run three loads from 65, 66, and 67gr of R19 pushing a 200gr Accubond. As of now it is at 1.4 inches with the 67gr load. I'll be working with it some more this weekend and hope to find a load it really likes.

The trigger is too heavy as adjusted from the factory. Though as you say crisp. I have been spoiled by my Tikka I fear. ;D  It is supposed to be adjustable and I'll give it a tweak.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline while99

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2011, 04:39:01 AM »
Yah, lemme know how that trigger tweak works for you.  I might want to lower the weight-of-pull on my Super Grade also.  I've adjusted the triggers on old M-70s but never one of these new M-70s.

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2011, 02:55:17 PM »
Do it, hurry and do it.

Alrighty, here's the skinny. Remove the bottom metal with an appropriate allen wrench. Carefully remove the barrel and action from the stock, hate to ding that $250 finish. :-[  Now it gets tough, you need to remove the sealer from the small adjustment screws. Through trial and error I scraped with a pocket knife, then heated with a lighter, poked at the allen screw hole with a jewelers screwdriver, wallered around with an extreamely fine allen wrench then finally got the proper 1/16 allen key into the socket. Not really that hard, just a very fine hole you are trying to access. By the way, the one you want is furthest from the action and therefore easiest to reach. I believe the heat did the most good, the sealer was much like hot glue.

I backed the screw out 1 1/2 turns roughly. I don't have a scale, but it is sweet  ;D . I'm tempted to open the Tikka now and see what sort of goodness awaits in that trigger.  I put a spot of nail polish over the screw and buttoned it back up.

The owners manual advises that the screw will fall out at a three # trigger pull and can't be reduced beyond that.

Offline while99

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2011, 05:21:05 PM »
Thanks for the info on the trigger adjustment.  I might just have to do that to mine.  It feels like it's 5 pounds, but it is crisp, I'll give Winchester that.

Offline Harry Snippe

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2011, 08:41:28 PM »
Empty Quiver
You comment on the tikka .
I found I make the tikka my bench mark for whatI expect out of the rifle , having had a tikka now over a few years .

I SOLD my stainless model 70 in '06, and also have my 300 WM  stainless for sale . Then had a Browning A bolt in '06 for awhile and sold it too .

The winchesters were fine guns and too nothin' really wrong with the browning A bolt , but now prefer the tikka 's I have two now and when the stainless classic 300 WM goes there probably be yet another tikka to replace that one .

Never had to do anything to the tikka since birth other than to scope the gun and shoot .
The winchesters and Browning's required trigger work and a bit of tweaking .
Happy

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2011, 04:40:26 AM »
Empty Quiver
You comment on the tikka ..

Never had to do anything to the tikka since birth other than to scope the gun and shoot .
The winchesters and Browning's required trigger work and a bit of tweaking .

You are dead on Harry, This Model 70 would not be in the stable had I not won it. The darn thing is easy on the eyes though. :)  A shame the Tikka isn't finished a bit nicer. That would make it a Sako then wouldn't it. ;)

I cannot complain about the Winchester so far. I'm working up a load, first time for that, and getting familiar with the gun. Worst group so far is 1 3/4" at a hundred yards ( I would start thinking trade on the Tikka at that point, as it must be shot out ). I'm trying to do this on a materials budget. I'm a bit low on powder and those 8mm bullets are not laying around every gun shop. At the same time I'm "seasoning" the barrel so lots of fouling the barrel and little shooting for record. It all will come together at fifty rounds, I hope.

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2011, 05:07:48 AM »
 I have 2 of the old WalMart Winchester Super Shadow rifles, 270 WSM and 300 WSM, both shoot 1/2" groups with the right ammo. Need trigger work for sure.......the 270 WSM loves 110 TTSX rounds, and shot a doe at over 35o yards, she went 20 yards before folding.

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2011, 03:50:52 AM »
Update on my 70. I worked with it till I could expect 5 bullets in a 6" box at 300. Good enough for now. Still can't figure out any better load , likely will change powder. In the end I also backed out of the trigger another 1 1/2 turns and am very satisfied with the trigger.

Carried that toad around the elk woods for a week. The Winchester has a weight problem. :(  I was determined to get some blood on it but that didn't work out. It's a handsome rifle and I tended to baby it a bit. By no means retired but the Tikka sure will be going hunting again.

Offline while99

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2012, 07:56:00 AM »
Since I last posted, I've since fired a couple of more groups with the 180-grain Hornady spire point bullets and they were both under an inch.  This rifle is a keeper and I think I'll take it to Saskatchewan this fall for a deer hunt.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2012, 11:43:02 PM »
Most .30-06s prefer the 180s.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline billyjack

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2012, 03:16:11 PM »
I have a 1st year south carolina model 70 fwt. in 270 and it is the most accurate rifle i have ever owned.I shoot hornady 130 btsp in it .I believe these are as good as the old pre 64 model 70.