Author Topic: LEVERevolution bullets  (Read 455 times)

Offline Star1pup

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
LEVERevolution bullets
« on: November 17, 2012, 03:58:28 AM »
I've been thinking about loading some LEVERevolution bullets for my Marlin 1894 .357.  Any advice?

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: LEVERevolution bullets
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 11:34:39 AM »
They can be problem attic with OAL dimentions... Some of these bullets require shortened cases to funtion thru some actions...

If your gonna big game hunt, I think they are too light form a carbine. FINE for small game and targets.

Good luck,
CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Star1pup

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 01:02:56 PM »
They can be problem attic with OAL dimentions... Some of these bullets require shortened cases to funtion thru some actions...

If your gonna big game hunt, I think they are too light form a carbine. FINE for small game and targets.

Good luck,
CW
Actually it would just be an experiment.  The biggest thing I would use the .357 for is coyotes at reasonable ranges.  The Hornady HPs I'm now loading pack a pretty good wallop.  :)

Offline helotaxi

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 04:44:02 AM »
Look at what you actually get with those bullets.  The advertised advantage of them is an increased ballistic coefficient, but it is actually worse than the BC of the 158gn XTP.  The .357 FTX bullets also have a longer bearing surface which means that they build higher pressure than a normal bullet of the same weight meaning reduced velocity, lower than the 158XTP.  Lower BC and lower velocity means more arc in the trajectory, a shorter effective range and more wind drift. 

If that was the only problem, they would merely be pointless.  Throwing good money after bad, though, is the fact that you have to trim your brass to a shorter than normal length (reducing case capacity, upping pressure and reducing velocity even more) and ruining the brass for normal use thereafter.

Don't waste your money.  The 158gn XTP is a better performing bullet.  If you want a hunting bullet from a carbine, the 170gn Speer and the 180gn XTPs are great choices.