Author Topic: What to buy, what to buy  (Read 534 times)

Offline papabull

• Trade Count: (0)
What to buy, what to buy
« on: October 25, 2012, 10:31:15 AM »
I am new to this board and am interested in buying a 20 gauge Pardner pump.  In looking at the ads for Pardner pumps for sale, I found that there is the standard pump, the compact pump and the youth pump.  I am short in stature and need a shorter LOP than the standard gun.  Is there a difference in the LOP of the compact verses the youth gun?  Does anyone know the LOP of either gun.  The 12 in. LOP may be too short for me and I may need a 13in LOP.   Also, I live in the Phila, PA area and cannot find a local dealer for the H&R guns.  I would not like to purchase on line because of the hassle of having to go thru a FFL dealer.  I am also a left handed long gun shooter.  Anyone shoot these shotguns left handed?  Any particular problems?  Thanks.
Non Carborundum Bastardi

Offline Lonegun1894

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
Re: What to buy, what to buy
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 12:24:02 PM »
I can't comment on the lenght as I don't have any experience with these specific models, and have always liked longer than standard lenghts anyway, but would suggest that you reconsider buying online.  The way I see it, assuming you go through a FFL and not an individual sale, you have to do the form 4473 anyway, making the only difference between purchasing from your dealer and transferring though him/her that you send the payment along with your FFLs phone number vs bring it with you.  I have done both, and honestly prefer to buy through my FFL to keep my favorie shop in business, but my FFL also refuses to deal in used guns so several of those in my collection have been bought online and I have never had a problem.  I've used gunbroker, so that is the only one I can comment on,  but make sure you ask any questions you have as most of the people there will try to answer your questions if you ask them.  Last gun I sold there to fund my Ruger Mk3 .22, the buyer asked several questions, and I sent him about 20 extra photos to show him more detail than the 4-5 photos I could get up on the site before he decided to purchase.  I have had the same exact courtesy/help from a couple other people when I was trying to buy their guns in the past, so consider this to be fairly common, especially with old guns where it's all in the details as opposed to a brand new gun like this last .22 I bought was.  So I say go out and find what you want, and the extra hoops to transfer it in should be very insignificant to the point of the worst part being the extra time it takes your payment to get to the seller and the gun to be delivered to your FFL. 

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 04:39:16 AM »
I am new to this board and am interested in buying a 20 gauge Pardner pump.  In looking at the ads for Pardner pumps for sale, I found that there is the standard pump, the compact pump and the youth pump.  I am short in stature and need a shorter LOP than the standard gun.  Is there a difference in the LOP of the compact verses the youth gun?  Does anyone know the LOP of either gun.  The 12 in. LOP may be too short for me and I may need a 13in LOP.   Also, I live in the Phila, PA area and cannot find a local dealer for the H&R guns.  I would not like to purchase on line because of the hassle of having to go thru a FFL dealer.  I am also a left handed long gun shooter.  Anyone shoot these shotguns left handed?  Any particular problems?  Thanks.
Welcome! IIRC Dick's carries the Pardner pump, if they don't have the 20 Gauge in stock, they could order it for you.  Go there and ask to "try" (mount) the different sizes for fit. 

At the risk of sounding like a "cheater", I would also suggest that you take a look at the Maverick Model 88, it's currently on sale at Dick's for $180.  While the Pardner is a H&R clone of the Remington Model 870, the Maverick is basically an economy version of Mossbergs' Model 500. 
IMHO both the Mossberg 500 and Remington 870 are great reliable shotguns.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline papabull

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 08:35:23 AM »
Thanks, guys
I didn't know that Dicks Sporting Goods handles the Pardner guns.  I have purchased guns on the internet before, but I didn't know if the Pardner stock would fit me, and I wanted to see them and try the fit before I buy.  As I said, I am short in stature and I didn't know if I need a 12 in. or 13 in. LOP.  I will go to my local Dicks and have a look. 
Non Carborundum Bastardi