Author Topic: 223 rem die ?  (Read 549 times)

Offline carlsflh

• Trade Count: (3)
223 rem die ?
« on: October 16, 2012, 07:01:31 AM »
getting ready to start loading for a 223 contender i just got . i've handloaded pistol and straight wall cases for the last 30 some years, but have only done a very little with bottle necked cart.need to buy dies and looking there is full lenght ,neck sizeing,collet,dies enough choices that i'm a little confused what style dies do i need to get started out.[did a search and only more confused] all my dies and my truent press are lee brand except a set of rcbs 30-30 dies that came with a rifle that i sold long time ago looking for sugestions on brand and style . thanks carl 

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: 223 rem die ?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 08:26:47 AM »
Well that is a tough question. I guess what do you want to get out of the rifle? As accurate as possible or just a decent shooter?  Any of the dies will put out ammo that will shoot, but how concentric it will be is another thing. 

I am a transitioning reloader, one going from Lee and RCBS dies to Redding.  In trying to get the most concentric ammo possible, I have found that there is a big difference in dies. I still like the Lee Collet neck dies and use them for a lot of calibers also like their factory bullet crimps, but their seating dies and full length dies have something to be desired, same goes for RCBS.   I bought a Redding competition bullet seater (and a body die) for my 300 RUM and like it so much it pains me to have to use other seaters for my other calibers.  Problem is, it's near $100 just for the seater. But it puts out bullets with .001-.002" runout almost every pull of the handle and a lot of them hardly move the needle. 

Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline Reloader

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
223 rem die ?
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 10:18:52 AM »
I use RCBS for my 233 Contender. You will need to get a set of full length dies for this application. A neck die might work for a couple of loading a but eventually the case will stretch to the point you won't be able to get the gun to close.
A bolt action gun can compensate for some stretching because of the camming power of the action.
Btw I've gotten 100 yard groups of under an inch with this pistol but must admit it doesn't happen very often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I can make it go bang it can't be that hard to do.

Offline muznut 54

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 11:11:56 AM »
I have Hornady .223 dies for my AR and a set of Lee deluxe for the neck sizer collet die for other rifles.

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 02:09:24 PM »
+1 on the Lee Deluxe Dies.  I use the collet die 3 times, then full length resize.  It's also good to full length resize new brass and these dies give you both.  I get sub 1/2" groups with mine, so they seem to work ok.  ;)

Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline jhm

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 06:24:04 AM »
     I like the RCBS equipment, and I have it going back to the old Green cardboard boxes they came in, I have tried some Lee dies but never was satisfied with them, I guess if I cut my finger I would bleed GREEN instead of RED.  Jim

Offline wmdron

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 12:50:50 AM »
I have also been through the process with different die makers. I like and use Redding mostly,  but I have a couple of Lee Collet dies for specific calibers and a few Wilson seaters (which I dearly love). My recommendation is to buy Redding (still USA made) you won't be sorry.

Offline MZ5

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 05:52:24 AM »
Need F-L sizer for semi-auto applications, and also periodically no matter the action/gun if you only neck size because eventually neck-sizing-only will leave the case too difficult to chamber.  Sometimes that takes 3 - 4 loadings, sometimes 10 or so.  How 'hot' you load them, the brass, and so forth determines that.

For at least a couple cartridges, I have a Lee Collet neck sizer and a Redding Body die (such as for my 25 WSSM, for which I paid Lee to custom-make me a die).  For others, I have a Collet and a F-L sizer.  Most of my dies, regardless the type, are Lee.  I also have Hornady, Redding, RCBS, and Forster, though.  Each has things I like about the dies.  None has _everything_ I like.

Honestly and truly, there's isn't a discernible difference between the Hornady, Lee, and RCBS in terms of interior finish, general quality, or precision.  IOW, the die-to-die variation will be as great as or greater than the brand-to-brand variation, IME.  My brother believes differently.  He says that in his experience there IS a discernible difference, and he says that RCBS and Hornady are not as good/precise/well-finished as Lee F-L sizers.

I think that Redding and Forster _may_ be somewhat better dies, finish-wise internally.  However, you pay dearly for that, and they still won't make more concentric ammo than a Lee Collet die + dead-length seater, particularly if you have Lee make you a seater plug for the exact bullets you're using (or modify one yourself, if you're good at that kind of thing).

If you want/need a set of F-L 223 dies and want Lee, I'm pretty sure I have a spare set.  I could ship them to you (lower 48 states) for $15.  It would be ONLY the F-L sizer and seater; nothing else.  PM me if you like.

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 06:43:55 AM »
I think that Redding and Forster _may_ be somewhat better dies, finish-wise internally.  However, you pay dearly for that, and they still won't make more concentric ammo than a Lee Collet die + dead-length seater, particularly if you have Lee make you a seater plug for the exact bullets you're using (or modify one yourself, if you're good at that kind of thing).

Boy I truely wish this was the case in my experience. I stuck with Lee's seaters, modified a couple plugs to fit vmax's of which I use exclusively in a couple guns and just can't get them to seat concentric bullets consistently for the life of me. I've gone back to seating with RCBS for calibers I don't have a Redding Competition seater, as they seem to put out straighter bullets.  I really would rather spend $10 instead of $100...
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline BruceP

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 04:13:19 PM »
Maybe I just got a good seater from Lee but with my collet neck die set the neck run out is almost nothing and the bullet run out is only .001" - .002" on the ones I have checked. I do have an RCBS set I got somewhere that I can full length size when the time comes but I am shooting a bolt gun.

Bruce
Lord, Please help me
Keep my small mind open
and my big mouth shut.

Offline carlsflh

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 06:14:15 PM »
well after looking at dies and talking to a few guys at the gun show today i bought a set of fl redding dies from mid south shooters supply they were only 5.00 more than rcbs 35.00 for the die set and 5.00 for a shell holder i was told that i could add micrometer adj seater later