Author Topic: Sweeny crossbow bill (A10583A) vetoed by Gov Cuomo  (Read 509 times)

Offline LanceR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Sweeny crossbow bill (A10583A) vetoed by Gov Cuomo
« on: December 18, 2012, 12:05:19 AM »
The bill sponsored by Chairman Sweeney of the Assembly Environmental Conservation  (A10583A) that would have restricted crossbow use to gun seasons and prevented the DEC from scheduling any future youth gun hunt in the archery season was vetoed by Governor Cuomo yesterday.  If I get hold of the any related statement from the governor I will post it.

The current crossbow legislation sunsets on 31 December so anyone planning to use a crossbow for the late Suffolk County season or in the focused deer management area around Ithaca in January will need to make other plans.

The sponsors of the original legislation that would have allowed the use of crossbows in big game archery seasons plan to reintroduce that legislation.  I think but am not positive that the legislation will call for the DEC to be able to regulate the use of crossbows in any season in which archery equipment can be used.

However any of us feel on the subject it as high time for the legislature to stop passing special interest legislation to manage fish and wildlife for a selfish few and allow the DEC to regulate fish and wildlife as called for in state law and the division of powers and responsibilities in the state constitution.  If a matter can't survive the normal process of an open and fair regulatory process (public input to draft regulations, public comment period on the completed draft, public hearings etc) we shouldn't be seeking or supporting special interest legislation that denies the majority of sportsmen a voice in issues.

Lance

Offline LanceR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Sweeny crossbow bill (A10583A) vetoed by Gov Cuomo
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 07:54:25 AM »
Here is the Governor's veto message:

VETO MESSAGE - No. 177

TO THE ASSEMBLY:

I am returning herewith, without my approval, the following bill:
Assembly Bill Number 10583-A, entitled:

"AN  ACT  to  amend  section  17 of chapter 483 of the laws of 2010,
      amending the environmental conservation law relating to hunting by
      crossbow, in relation to the effectiveness thereof; to amend  the
      environmental conservation  law, in relation to crossbow hunting;
      and to repeal section 12 of such chapter thereto"

NOT APPROVED

The bill would, among other things, extend until December 31, 2014 the
authority of the Department of  Environmental  Conservation  ("DEC")  to
regulate crossbow  hunting, while  prohibiting  DEC from holding a big
game junior hunt during longbow season for all weapons except for  long-
bow.

This bill would go beyond simply extending the general authorization
of DEC to regulate crossbow hunting by also precluding the agency from
holding a weekend youth hunt during longbow season that would be avail-
able to all weapons authorized to be used in each of the  State's counties.
Simple extender bills should not used as a basis to impose unrelated restrictions.

The bill is disapproved.                    (signed) ANDREW M. CUOMO