Author Topic: 10" Seacoast mortar.  (Read 624 times)

Offline Doc Brown.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
10" Seacoast mortar.
« on: November 02, 2012, 06:16:29 PM »
Anyone have a nice drawing already scaled down for a 10" seacoat mortar. Golf ball bore.  Im going to try and get some people I know with a CNC plasma cutter to cut out all the parts for me.  Also would anyone want the parts if I can get them to do it.  There machine is gigantic and they could cut out hundreds of parts in a matter of minutes. There draftsmen are pretty good and if I give them a nice drawing they will get this right im sure.

Also would epoxy work better than welds for the Cheek on cheek part of the seacoast mortar?

Or does anyone know where I can buy the parts already cut.

Im not sure the thickness of the steel I will need and im not sure how thick there plasma machine will cut. Im thinking 1/4" might be as thick as they will go. 
Thank you.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: 10" Seacoast mortar.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 06:43:48 PM »
Order the plans from AOP.  The plans have scaling info in them.

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 07:06:38 PM »
Order the plans from AOP.  The plans have scaling info in them.

23 bucks it is then.  I cant wait to get them. I have the mortar barrel almost done but its over 5" diameter and over 8" long. I think its to big. Im going to do this trunnion bar right and weld and bondo and paint.  It defiantly has a nice heavy wall look with only a golf ball bore.

I thought about making another cohorn but im not sure they was ever made from iron. 

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 07:56:43 PM »

I have the mortar barrel almost done but its over 5" diameter and over 8" long. I think its to big. 

Sounds way off.  My pop can Dictator is 6 1/8" diameter and 8" long and it looks right.

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 08:11:34 PM »
That dictator looks like the real thing sitting there. AMAZING.  I have a William F green drawing for that but didn't want to get into something so hard for my first iron mortar. I think the 10" Seacoast mortar will be a lot easier than that.

How deep is the bore on the dictator. Does it have a powder chamber. I don't know if WFG drawing are real scale models or if they are his own thing.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 09:11:26 PM »
The Green plans are simplified.  Also, the 10" (10" ID, 30" OD) mortar is smaller in proportion to the bore than the 13" mortar (13" ID, 43" OD, IIRC.)  See this To the Sound of the Guns page for more data.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill