Author Topic: 45-70 factory ammo -any brands with too much pressure  (Read 822 times)

Offline timbertoes

• Trade Count: (0)
    • http://www.texoma.net/~goonair
45-70 factory ammo -any brands with too much pressure
« on: February 09, 2004, 04:10:42 PM »
For the NEF Handi, are there any factory loads that I cannot use due to high pressure?

I saw an ad for PMC 45-70 +P+  indicated a 2K+ fps velocity.
got me to thinking I better ask the experts :)

and whats the reccomend pressure for this gun ?

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
45-70 factory ammo -any brands with too muc
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2004, 10:42:22 PM »
For reloaders it's easy. Stay within the Trapdoor and Lever Action loading data.

I thought that commercial loadings were all Trapdoor loads for legal reasons.  I have never heard of a +P 45-70 load, that's not saying much tho as I never look at boxed ammo except for 22lr.  I seem to remember someone mentioning a hot Cor-bon loading that they said was safe for the Handi but I can't recall.

Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline BIGBOREFAN

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2004, 02:01:07 AM »
The PMC load can be used in any modern firearm in good condition. It will say so on the box. Seems to get close to the 450 marlin with out reloading the 45-70. Personally I would use the Remington 405 grain factory load. I have a 450 Ultra and I'm going to work up a load for the 405 grainers. TC

BBF
LETS GO STEELER'S. BIG BEN JUST KEEPS ON TICKEN. STEELER'S IN JACKSONVILLE THIS YEAR!

Offline timbertoes

• http://www.texoma.net/~goonair
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2004, 02:30:18 AM »
great, thanks much.  surfing for 45-70, I see why it has the following, what with black powder loads and all :)

Offline LibertyShip

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2004, 07:50:34 AM »
I think some of the Garrett .45-70 +P's with chamber pressures up to 35,000 PSI might be a little stressful.  I pretty much decided to stick with the standard 405 grain, 1350fps rounds.

Here is the info on Garrett:

http://www.garrettcartridges.com/products.asp

However, they seem to think that their 420-GR SUPERHARDCAST GAS-CHECKED HAMMERHEAD AT 1650-FPS is ok for NEF and it has a 27,000 PSI rating.  But they also claim that the +P version at 1850fps and 35,000 PSI are ok in NEF's. I bet even it would be less than fun to shoot a few boxes of, though especially out of the BC with the curved steel butt plate!

Like I said, I'm sticking with the standard stuff!

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2004, 11:16:56 AM »
This is where we need JackFish, hey JackFish where are you! You have to watch the pressure ratings on these loads. The Garret loads are expressed in both CUP, and PSI, they are NOT interchangeable. JackFish always said to stay below the 40,000 CUP levels. Well loads in the 30,000 CUP range have plenty of gumption. The 405 Rem. factory loads will do for almost anything you'll come across. I would only shoot Garrets if I was Alaska bound and in Brown Bear country. I'm planning on loading for the 45/70, and will try to keep the loads at the low end of the modern lever action load range. Usually the trapdoor loads run up to 28,000CUP, the modern lever action loads run to 40,000CUP, and the modern rifle loads run up to 50,000CUP. I hope this helps.
Don

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2004, 07:15:32 PM »
The 420gr Hammerhead loads are safe in the newer NEF and the BC.  No one has ever mentioned the older NEF frames but I would be very hesitant to go above Marlin levels with them.  That said, I can tell you the Marlin levels will hurt you.

I have pushed 405 gr loads 1800+ from my BC and it showed no signs at all of overperssure.  The only overpressure sign it showed was at that @#$%^^ steel buttplate.  I can tell you at those levels it will be real easy to develope a flinch.  It took me a while to get rid of it when I went back to a sane 1500-1600 load.

Spend the $50 bucks, shoot the Garret ammo and then ask yourself WHY :shock: ???

If you're going after dangerous game, don't use a singleshot anyway.  If you're not going after dangerous game you wont need Garrets stuff.  A 405 gr load at 1350 or a 350gr PMC at 1800 will stop anything you care to face with a singleshot and then some.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline howie1968

• A Real Regular
the PMC +P+
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2004, 02:13:47 AM »
these  are  great  shooters  my  Handi  loves  them  along  with  the winchester  300 gr hollowpoint   both   drop pigs  and  deer  with  great  authority
Hi  enjoy  hunting  guns    teaching  my  2  daughters  about  hunting  and  boxing

Offline dpastor

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2004, 09:52:51 AM »
What you shoot depends on how expensive your fillings/crowns are. :)
Even a turtle has to stick its neck out to get ahead.