Author Topic: Any suggestions on a compact scope for not a lot of money?  (Read 1191 times)

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Any suggestions on a compact scope for not a lot of money?
« on: February 08, 2004, 03:13:26 PM »
:roll:  OK guys I know the rule is buy the best scope you can. I just ordered a Sportster in .22 Mag to compliment my other Handi's and to use for coyotes, sometimes in the "greengrowth" and sometimes in the more open areas. I am looking for a nice light compact scope about 2-7 power give or take (possibly even a fixed 4 power?) to mount. I have a 6.5-20x50 on my .223 bull barrel and a 3x9 on my .17MHR with heavy barrel, both of those have laminated stocks. This new gun with retain the lighter synthetic stock and has the standard diameter barrel for ease in carry. I want to keep the scope small and light. I'd like a Leupold but we cannot always have everything we want. What do any of you guys have or suggest for a light, compact scope with good light transmission for dawn and dusk hunting that will not break the bank?? Thanks....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline raynor

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Any suggestions on a compact scope for not
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2004, 03:18:28 PM »
Nikon, has the Pro-Staff line in a 4x and a 2-7 and they are priced right. Can't beat their warranty either.  Think the 2-7 runs around $125 and the 4x is a little less than that. ~~ SV

Offline DaveH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2004, 03:33:14 PM »
Check out CDNN their RUL is:
WWW.CDNNINVESTMENTS.COM

They carry a wide range of optics.  Some expensive some pretty cheap.  I bought a target sports 4X fixed compact scope (Illuminated Reticle) for my .22  its only 7 1/2 ins long and 32 mm optics.

Dave H.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2004, 03:35:27 PM »
:D, Hello and Thanks SV. I knew I could count on you for good info. Question,  are they compact scopes? I just watched a new Nikon Pro-Staff go on e-bay yesterday, It was a shotgun/BP scope so I did not bid. It went pretty cheaply, less than the $125. I should have bid I guess. I was looking for a scope that is only 10-11" long and light. Any thoughts of a scout type scope for quick shooting?. Would I run into problems mounting a scout type scope on a tapered standard weight Sportster barrel?...<><.... :?:  (Dave, thanks also!! I'm going there to check out the scopes..)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2004, 03:42:59 PM »
:D A fixed power scout type sounds like what you want to me, I want the same for one of my .357s. Easy to find the crosshairs fast. I have a simmons  4X32BP scope on my sportster right now its about 12" long but works well seems like it was only $75.00 or so but I've had it almost ten years most of that was on my Knight Wolverine. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline Duce

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2004, 04:39:56 PM »
BB: Check out Cabela's Pine Ridge scopes. Got a 2X7 rimfire on my squirrel eeeerrr squirrel rifle. Good clear optics, fairly small and light, 32 MM objective. Good Luck: <>< :grin: Duce:
What ever you'll put up with, is exactly what you'll get!!!!!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2004, 05:19:22 PM »
:-D, Thanks for all the input guys. I took it all in, checked a few sites, and still smarting from having lost the Nikon ProStaff 2-7 for a good price checked e-bay again. Remember I said I would like a Leupold? Well I just happened upon a 1 day auction of several NEW in box Leupolds from a dealer.  I was the high bidder on a NIB Leupold Rifleman 2-7x33 at $147.51 with no taxes and a $7.00 shipping charge. The seller has great feedback as a reputable seller also, life is sweet. A bit more than I wanted to spend but much more than I ever expected to get. My lovely wife says it ill be my Valentines Day gift. Now what to get her? A new spotting scope maybe? No that won't do, she wants a new addition and 2 car garage, I feel guilty about getting it for her because I really want it also but sometimes you have to make the hard decisions, Thanks God....<><.... :grin:

Offline Badnews Bob

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2004, 05:25:05 PM »
Two car Garage :roll: I think that would work :twisted: Don't have to tell her its really for you do ya :devil2:
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2004, 04:22:13 AM »
:-D,Boy oh Boy am I happy!!!,. When it rains it pours!!! Any of you older guys remember the Weaver Quick Points? I have an old one that has lost it's internal adjustments, used to be great for quick running shots in the woods. Looking around for a scope I located an as new Quick Point in the box for $1.95 at "SWFA Riflescopes" on thier sample list. It was missing a couple of small pieces on the mount but I have those on my old one that dosen't adjust. As soon as SWFA opened I called and for $1.95 plus $6.00 shipping it's on it's way to me!!! I must have been very good lately for these good things to happen, and am I grateful!! My new .22 Mag Sportster should be in in a couple of days. Thanks God....<><.... :grin: (Thanks also to Graybeard and our moderators, this site is turning out to be even better than I had hoped!!!)

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2004, 07:31:33 AM »
Before you guys go running off elsewhere to buy your optics I would suggest you check out a couple of the GBO advertiser's prices. We have both The Optic Zone and SWFA as sponsors of this site. You're gonna be hard pressed to find someone who will be both of their prices on any given scope. SWFA has a Sample List that has demo, refurbs and such and some really good prices on those not fully new optics as well.

For a buy on used stuff Ed's TCs (banner on TC Handgun Forum) often has used scopes for sale at really good prices. He doesn't keep his web site up to date so you'll have to call or e-mail him to see what he has in stock.

These folks are why this site is here as they and the other sponsors are the ones footing the bill. Would be nice to support those folks who keep this site viable and at the same time offer some outstanding prices to you.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Badnews Bob

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2004, 08:26:12 AM »
Roger That Greybeard I'll check'em out. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline H&R BANG

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2004, 02:49:28 PM »
I put a 2X Weaver pistol scope on my 44 mag Handi. I used a Weaver TC Contender base. I used the original rear site 6-48 threaded hole to locate the base and drilled and tapped 3 more holes. I drilled the new holes shallower than the existing rear site hole.

I like it a lot.

Offline litman252

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2004, 04:10:54 PM »
H&R bang,
 IS that the way all you guys are mounting your scout style scopes, drill and taping the barrel???
Going to have a .243 handi-rifle if the wife says yes :?
Tony

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2004, 03:48:59 AM »
Thanks for the info Bang. Perhaps I'm imagining this incorrectly but does the taper of the barrel forward of the forward set of pre-drilled scope mounting holes offer a problem to mounting the mount and scope parallal to the bore?....<><.... :?:

Offline BIGBOREFAN

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2004, 04:00:13 AM »
You can use the regular handi scope mount and then buy weaver off set extension rings. They off set either way about 1 inch depending which way you face them. Face them with the off set forward on the farthest slots in the mount. Thought about doing this myself but have not yet. Should work.

BBF
LETS GO STEELER'S. BIG BEN JUST KEEPS ON TICKEN. STEELER'S IN JACKSONVILLE THIS YEAR!

Offline H&R BANG

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2004, 02:32:15 PM »
The 44 mag barrel has only a little taper so although the base is a little "downhill" it is not a problem.

The Contender base barrel radius is less than the 44 mag barrel, so the base hits the barrel on the edges of the base. I am going to remove the base and fill the space with JB Weld to get more contact area. I am not sure how well this would work with a smaller diameter (243) barrel. You may have to fill the outside edges under the base. The Weaver base only costs about $5 so it wouldn't cost much to get one to see how it fit.

I guess I need to figure out how to post pictures!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2004, 08:51:20 AM »
:grin: Thanks H&R Bang, I was going to try to mount a scout type scope on my new Sportster .22 Mag with regular (non-bull) barrel, keeping the synthetic stock but perhaps going to the non-montecarlo pistol grip synthetic buttstock which I feel will be more conducive to quickly aquireing the sights and sight picture for me, it might not work for others but it seems to for me. The .22 Mag regular contour barrel might even be smaller (more acute change) in diameter than the .243 barrel but I am not sure. It sure is fun to tinker, of course I did just get that "as new" but old Weaver Quick-Point which I am itching to try for quick shots on coyotes within 50-75 yards using the Federal 50 Gr .22 Mags....<><.... :grin: