Author Topic: 45 colt Crimping problem  (Read 469 times)

Offline AceRoth

• Trade Count: (8)
45 colt Crimping problem
« on: November 03, 2012, 12:34:20 PM »
I reload rifle all the time but haven't done handgun in 15 years.  Loaded up some 45 colt today no problem but can't for the life of me get them to crimp.  I'm using RCBS carbide dies made in the late 80's/early 90's if that matters.
Only thing I can think of is when I full-length resized, it looks like they didn't resize all the way to the bottom, probably only 3/4 of the way down. With rifle, I know this would be a problem but looking at the photos in my Hornady manual, it looks like this is the way it's supposed to work with straight wall pistol cases.  Still, the unsized portion does seem to be preventing the ram from bottoming out against the bottom of the die. 
If this is the problem, ideas on what I do with the loaded rounds?  They're relatively light practice loads and I'll be shooting them at the range, not bashing them around in a pack or holster in the field.  Will the modest recoil of 6 grains of bullseye in a heavy revolver push bullets back into the case?  I'm thinking not and it's fine to shoot them but what do I know.
Whatever the problem is, it's with me, not the dies.  I looked back at some ammo I loaded with the same dies 15 years ago and they are crimped fine.  Didn't have my dad looking over my shoulder this time.

Offline Hairy Chest

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: 45 colt Crimping problem
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 02:23:49 PM »
If the top edge isn't lined up exactly to the crimp groove, nothing happens.  Does your seating depth line up the case top with the groove? 
Study after study has shown how dangerous distracted driving is yet people continue to talk on their cell phones while driving. Driving in the U.S. requires your full attention. Many states and countries have made it illegal to use a cell phone while operating a motor vehicle and the federal government should follow their lead. Banning the use of cell phones while driving would have the added benefit of making the no-texting law enforceable.

Offline rockshooter

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 05:53:45 PM »
Sounds like your crimp die isn t adjusted right. Make sure the die is screwed in enough- if it still wont crimp and the die is touching the top of the shellholder when the ram is all the way up, grind 1/8" off the bottom of the die. If you have a .45ACP crimp die, that can be used also even if the die has a taper crimp. A neat option is that Lee makes (or made) a .45 rifle-type collet-type Factory Crimp Die. I use it with the 454190 and it works great!
Loren

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 01:00:48 AM »
Grinding off, and potentially ruining a good die, should NEVER be a solution though RCBS would most likely replace it for you after the fact, even though you ruined it yourself and on purpose.

I have no problem with RCBS dies for the 45 Colt and load them by the 1000's.

Never be afraid to start over from scratch.  Remove the locking rings from the sizing, seating and crimping dies.  Read the set up instructions that came with the dies or which are posted on the Net by the die manufacturer.  In that way you will overcome your set up error(s) and going forward the problem will be corrected. 

For the bullets that have been made with insufficient or without crimp, use the seating/crimping die on the loaded rounds in a separate operation.  Raise the bullet in the shell holder to the top of the ram.  Adjust the seating/crimping die down onto the loaded round at the top of the ram until it touches the round.  Withdraw the ram and turn down the die another 1/4 thread to create an intended "interference fit".  Raise the ram.  Feel the interference.  Lower the ram and check for crimp.  The desired crimp should then be adjustable by slight up/down threading of the die before locking it in place.

Also unusual, but if the length of your cases is marginally different, i.e. more than say 0.005" difference, there will be a different crimp from case to case.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 09:00:23 AM »
Ace

If I'm reading right , it sounds like you just need to back the seating stem OUT about 1/4 turn and then turn the entire die body down 1/4 turn . Whats happening is that the bullet seating stem is not allowing the die to come down onto the case mouth with the crimp part of the die .

My guess here is that the rounds you loaded 15 years ago were just a tad longer when you set up the dies and their out of ajustment for this batch .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Paladin

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 04:08:11 PM »
are your cases leverevolution? could be the reason they are not crimping, if they are short.