Author Topic: What's it take to be a moderater?Not me.I am curious.  (Read 1106 times)

Offline jaycocreek

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
What's it take to be a moderater?Not me.I am curious.
« on: February 13, 2004, 03:41:15 PM »
Moderater's-Is it do as I say and don't follow my past?I am curious as to what it takes to be a "un Bias Mediater"?

I don't fall into that category,but how do the ones we have?I have been here past most of the moderators and am curious how ya pick em out?

Just an old guy that is still currious.Jayco.
I didn''t do it and whoever said I did is lieing!!

Offline jh45gun

What's it take to be a moderater?Not me.I a
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2004, 04:19:39 PM »
Hey I am not perfect  :roll:  :roll: If I would have been a  moderator at MT I should have kicked my self off the site.  :)  :)  :) The thing is there with out MT being moderated it could get out of control by most anyone at times with out no repercussions. Here and at other moderated sites we try to nip it in the bud before serious problems occur.  I never will say I am unbiased but I will do my best to follow the rules here the GB set and use them as my guide line to keep things orderly here with out going on a power trip. If ya ever read westerns or watched them on TV more than once the sheriff may have been a outlaw a time or two. Same with me moderating here I have been one here at the Rimfire forum for a year or so now and have had no problems moderating. That site was a bit different than this one as the members from MT were NOT used to being moderated. I guess it is a when in Rome thing I have normally behaved in a moderated setting. Yea at MT I have argued and raised some cain with some of the members I disagreed with. That is in the past as this site is moderated. I have extended welcomes here and even contacted members who I have had a few spirited conversations with in the past here to join us. I welcome them and all others as long as they behave. There is a couple I really do not want here that are not here that I know of but if they join I will extend to them the same  welcome as every one else until they may step over the line. Jim
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2004, 04:26:01 PM »
Quote from: jh45gun
Hey I am not perfect   If I would have been a  moderator at MT I should have kicked my self off the site.  
Dali Llama say he never recall jh45gun initiate disagreement, he only defend self and position when provoked by others.
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2004, 05:38:02 PM »
I am curious as to what it takes to be a "un Bias Mediater"?

Dunno if there really is such a thing. We all have bias of one type or another.

am curious how ya pick em out?

Now that one I can answer. I ask for volunteers generally. I always hope someone who's been on the site long enough for me to have observed how they conduct themselves volunteers but it doesn't always happen that way. I've named Moderators who have had as few as two posts on the site.

If someone asks for a new forum and it is granted I usually ask that person to moderate it. If they won't then I seek a volunteer who will.

So really it is more a point of who can't be a moderator than who can. If a person has proven to be a trouble maker even if not to the point of me having to take action against them then they won't be offered such a postion.

The one requirement all must follow to include the Moderators and myself is to follow the rules of the site. Stated generally that is be nice. I'm no less inclined to discuss improper behavior with a Moderator than a member. It happens. They are human. They mess up from time to time. I've even been known to myself. When/if I do then for sure any moderator or member who notices it is free to remind me just like I or a moderator would remind one of the members. This is always best handled off forum via PM or e-mail and not on public forum. It is always taken better in private than in public when you have to remind a person to follow the rules.

Hope that kinda helps answer your question.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline John Y Cannuck

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2004, 12:29:23 AM »
I've been a moderator here for a little while now, I have yet to have to delete anyones post.
There are trouble makers, but  I've slept through most of them.
The mods, and GB help each other out, without stepping on each others toes.
I have helped out a few newbie posters along the way.
Gb hands out a few magical powers, that are used with great discretion.
Canadian Liberal Gov't = elected Dictatorship