Author Topic: Krupp Mountain Gun  (Read 720 times)

Offline Chhelo

• Trade Count: (0)
Krupp Mountain Gun
« on: January 07, 2013, 05:56:54 PM »
New to the forum.  Just checking to see if anyone knows where I could locate technical information/drawings on a 7.5 cm Gebrig Kanone made by Krupp around 1891.  Has anyone ever built a replica?  information on the cannon. http://www.lovettartillery.com/7.5cm_Gebirg_Kanone_L_13.html
Just wondering how difficult it would be to build the breech.

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Krupp Mountain Gun
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 07:10:46 PM »
where I could locate technical information/drawings on a 7.5 cm
Gebrig Kanone made by Krupp around 1891.

That's easy, Ralph Lovett, the one who did that webpage and who owns the only example I know of.  Krupp did the same exact design in 6.5 cm, 7.5 cm, and probably other bore diameters.  I have one of the 6.5's, dated 1891, and from a distance you can't tell it from the 7.5.  If Ralph doesn't have the info you want on that item, no one does.

Beware the breechblock isn't as easy as it looks.  Another friend had a 9cm Krupp of this same vintage, minus breechblock.  He was able to borrow an original block to have his machinist copy.  By the time the last heat treatment was done and the parts had been fitted and assembled, the bill was somewhere north of $15K if I remember correctly.

Offline Chhelo

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 02:27:17 AM »
Hi Cannonmn,  thanks for the information.  If money were no object it would be a great project. What is a cannon like that worth if you could find an original.  Guess it would be quite a collectors item.  Will most likely just build a muzzle loader. I have a 1" bore cannon I made with my father in law that was a machinist in the oil patch back in the late 70's.  We started with a piece of 3 inch and blind drilled the bore and then tapered the tube.  Have used it as a salute cannon on the 4th over the years but have always wanted something bigger. Largest charge I have ever used was about 3/4 ounces, 5 to 6 capfuls of Fg. Average load was 3 to 4 capfuls as that made plenty of noise. This was prior to the days of the Internet and having very little info on cannon data. Guess I was fortunate I kept the tube wall thickness equal to the bore and used a conservative load. Thank God for common sense.

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 05:16:04 AM »
You are right conservative loads are a good idea.   I am a little confused, does 5-6 cap fulls weigh 3/4 oz? 
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline Chhelo

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 09:12:54 AM »
When I weighed on my electronic scale 6 level capfuls read 3/4 ounces. Will recheck again tonight.

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 01:34:50 PM »
You might want to come up with something that holds 3/4 oz all at once as a more accurate and faster way of measuring out your powder.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA