Author Topic: tumbling 50 grain varmint grenade  (Read 582 times)

Offline JimF1969

• Trade Count: (1)
tumbling 50 grain varmint grenade
« on: December 13, 2012, 05:20:23 PM »
I have a Remington Model 7 predator in 22 250. I bought some Barnes 50 grain varmint grenades to reload. H380 powder. I've tried 38 gr, 39 gr, 40 gr. I can't get them to stop tumbling.
My biggest fear is ( when I'm dead) my wife will sell my hunting stuff for what I said i paid for it.

Offline JimF1969

Re: tumbling 50 grain varmint grenade
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 05:24:11 PM »
the round holes are 40 grain Nosler ballistic tip from 100 yds. The other ones were the grenades from 50 yds.
My biggest fear is ( when I'm dead) my wife will sell my hunting stuff for what I said i paid for it.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 01:04:29 AM »
got to wonder if there not deforming in the air. Just for grins try running one at about 3000 fps and see what happens.
blue lives matter

Offline JimF1969

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 05:29:10 AM »
thanks Lloyd,  Will Try to down load some. I don't have crony but will start down loading to see if that helps. I bought these things because of coyote and fox hunting on some federal land that only allows non toxic shot and bullets. Might have to find something else. I was hoping that someone else has had the same thing happen and could tell me what I was doing wrong. anyone recommend some non toxic bullets for my 22-250.

Offline Larry L

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 06:00:33 AM »
Loading them down is NOT going to help. If your 22-250 is of the normal twist rate, it's WAY too slow for the 50gr VGs- been there, done that. To get them to shoot out of a 223 with any thing that resembled accuracy I had to use a 1:8" twist in one of my bench guns. The best group was over an inch at 100 yds from a rifle capable on most any day of the one hole group. On the good side, those Varmint Grenades make great wrist rocket ammo for sounding deer out of canyons. And as far as I'm concerned, that's the ONLY thing they are good at. To say I think they are possibly the worst bullet made is a gross understatement. From the Barnes website:

*To stabilize in flight, 45-grain Banded Spitzers and 53-grain TSX bullets require a 1:12” or faster
twist; 62-grain TSX and 55-grain MPG bullets need a 1:9” or faster twist.
The 36-grain Varmint Grenade works fine in barrels with a 1:14” twist, while the 70-grain TSX
needs a 1:8” or faster twist. The 50-grain Varmint Grenade requires a 1:10" or faster twist.

Offline JimF1969

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 03:54:30 PM »
thanks Larry, that wasn't the answer I was hoping for, but, it is the answer I expected. Do you know of a non toxic bullet that will shoot out of my 22-250?

Offline Larry L

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 04:39:47 PM »
Jim, I didn't try the 36 gr Varmint Grenades. They are suppose to come out of a 22-250 straight. The issue isn't bullet weight but the length causing issues with the twist rate. But ya gotta know, these are not target bullets. None will produce accuracy that I consider acceptable for varmint hunting. If you get an inch group at 100 yds, you're miles ahead of most everybody else. Might give them a try. I've tried others and haven't found one yet that's worth squat for varmint hunting ranges in South Texas.
My brother and I hunt Federal land and local airports. We had the same issues with the bullet selection and the other BS. WE ended up with steel buckshot. Yeah, ya gotta get fairly close but because the animals generally haven't been hunted, we were actually able to get within range. We used a scoped Remington 870 with a full choke. The ammo was made by Remington and we used the 3" magnums. The scope is a Leatherwood and works great. We could reach out to about 75 yds with it.
As I was typing this, I think you might ask about a steel core penetrator bullet like the M109 bullet. They are 62grs in weight. They come out of my 223 bench guns like they think they're match grade. Don't know if they'll come out of a normal twist 22-250 1:14". If you have a 223 1:8" twist, this may be the answer or a good reason to go buy another gun. I never asked about these mostly because we are hunting a lot of airports and a rifle bullet of any kind just isn't going to work. We can't afford a ricochet of any kind. Best of luck though. It can be a challenge conforming to Fed standards but it can be done. Maybe not how you would like to do it but the hunt is more important than the kill anyway.

Offline Bubber

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 04:50:02 PM »
I have never been able to get VG to shoot well either. A 22-250 with a 1:12 twist would keep the 36grainers inside a pie plate at 100 but that is it. It wasn't untill I got them down below 3000fps that it would shoot somthing that resembled a group but it was a sorry excuse for one. A couple inches out of a rifle that will shoot cloverleafs or better with several laods if I am having a good day. The 50s wouldn't do any better in that gun or my AR (1:9). I will never buy another box. But my hunt for a good fur bullet continues.