Author Topic: ranch rifle?  (Read 1485 times)

Offline gotchamel

• Trade Count: (1)
ranch rifle?
« on: June 02, 2012, 12:40:25 PM »
I have a ranch rifle on the way.Is there a pistol grip available w/o changing out the frame?It  is the black synthetic/stainless barrel and reciever.Thanks!

Offline gotchamel

Re: ranch rifle?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 12:43:01 PM »
Its a mini 14 in .223

Offline MZ5

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 03:48:13 PM »
You're asking about a pistol-grip stock?  Like the Tapco?
http://www.tapco.com/products/ruger/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=31

Offline Old Lucky 01

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 11:48:41 AM »
I have used several Choate synthetic fixed style stocks, pistol grip version, and I am very satisfied.  Drop in design and VERY sturdy...about $60-$75 via Brownells or Gunbroker etc..

Offline dynomike1x1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 12:51:53 PM »
How do you put a scope on a mini 14? Mine has the mounts on the reciever but i shot an older one today and we were trying to figure out how to mount a scope on it. All help would be appreciated.
There are very few probablms that can't be solved with explosives.
2/115FA

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 07:35:46 PM »
The ranch rifle means it has a scope mount from the factory. If they are a non ranch rifle you have to buy a scope mount. They attach with a single bolt on the left side of the receiver. Then have two screws that put pressure on the top of the receiver to make the mount a little more stable.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1775/Product/RUGER-reg-MINI-14-reg-SCOPE-MOUNT
Molon labe

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 05:14:17 PM »
When the Mini-14 came out people thought it was great.  Then someone noticed it was not designed for a scope.  So Ruger designed and built the Ranch Rifle, problem solved.  Except for all those Mini-14s made before the Ranch Rifle.  Yes you can put a scope on them, but I have never talked to someone that had one that lasted for long.  My opinion, just my opinion,  Not trying to be a smart XXX.  Best bet, get another gun if you want a scope.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 06:03:13 AM »
After reading Sourgough's post I remembered what a piece of crap the mount was. I bought a used mini in the early 90's when the barrels were actually good on the old models. The main attachment method was a knurled knob that screwed into the side. The poi kept on shifting on me. I got a set of vise grips to try and tighten it down. Ended up breaking the bolt off in the receiver. Got it out with a whole lot of cussing and an ez-out after several hours. I ended up putting in a regular high grade bolt and bluing it. With a solid attachment is was still shifting poi. I tightened the allen screws down as tight as an allen wrench would allow and loctited them. It finally became a semi-solid mount and would maintain zero. Pretty well the mount I had seemed to be more of a piss poor afterthought than a well thought out mounting system. It had only 3 contact points. The main attachment on the side. Then the 2 allen screws. So tension was the basis of making it solid. Whereas most mounts rely on bolting a mount machined specifically to fit the receiver for the best possible stability.
It was the same B Square mount as linked up previously. That was the first and only B Square product I ever purchased. They can be made more solid with a better bolt and by cosmetically damaging the receiver by tightening the two allen screws very tight. But really there's no need today with the weaver mounts already on the rifle. The bad part is the new rifles are a lot more money than they are worth. The pre-mid 90's models, before the accuracy fell off are a decent option for a fellow on a budget. But they made a lot more standard rifles than ranch rifles back then.
Molon labe