Author Topic: 50 Cal. Desert Eagle  (Read 689 times)

Offline Wilbe Lead

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
50 Cal. Desert Eagle
« on: February 10, 2004, 12:27:57 PM »
Hi Everyone,
Already have a older 44mag. Mostly just target shooting and the roadrunners little friend.
Was thinking of a 50cal.
Any likes or dislike out there.
Later
Wilbe Lead

Offline yotehunter

• Trade Count: (0)
50 Cal. Desert Eagle
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2004, 01:33:52 PM »
Its a nice handgun once you get the little nit pics worked out. Mine launched the front sight on the 2nd round, it also wouldnt feed worth a dang. I called DE and they said that alot of the 50AE's got out with bad mag followers. Also alot of the mags on the aftermarket would not work properly. I bought a aftermarket mag when I bought the pistol and neither worked good. DE sent me a new sight and 2 new ungrooved followers (the bad ones have a groove in them, the good ones are flat)
Once installed it worked great. Very fun to shoot, and to see the look on others faces when you fire it. :eek:

Offline New Hampshire

• A Real Regular
50 Cal. Desert Eagle
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2004, 02:31:49 PM »
I was always told to fear the Mighty .50 AE.  But when I saw firsthand it looked like, at least in the heavy DE, it was not that bad.  Does not seem to recoil all that much more than the .44 version.
Brian M.
NRA Life Member
Member Londonderry Fish and Game Club
Member North American Fishing Club
Member North American Hunting Club
Member New Hampshire Historical Society
Member International Blackpowder Hunting Association

Offline Conan The Librarian

• McDonalds. Blecch!
50 Cal. Desert Eagle
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2004, 09:44:33 AM »
Here's the progression I've seen over the past few years with 50 Desert Eagles:
1) Lots of them at the range
2) Lots of them for sale
3) None of them at the range.

I wonder what that means.

Offline Castaway

50 Cal. Desert Eagle
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2004, 10:25:38 AM »
My opinion, and my opinion only.  While I think there is a place for large calibers at relatively high velocities, I also think that if I had one of those things, I'd also want to shoot them with reduced loads, just for fun.  With an auto loader, every load must cycle the action, which means that every load must approach palm, wrist and elbow numbing recoil.  For hunting, I don't mind the recoil; in fact, like most hunters, I don't hear it or feel it if shooting at game.  I'd much rather have a revolver in a large caliber so I could enjoy the pistol all year round.  You could load low for plinking and learning trigger control for the particular pistol you are shooting and even enjoy the session.  A trip to the range before hunting season with full house loads could confirm or adjust the zero if needed.  In other words, I'd lean toward a revolver when considering a pistol of that caliber.  Again, just my 2 cents worth.  Each to his own.

Offline Iowegan

• A Real Regular
50 Cal. Desert Eagle
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2004, 02:34:20 PM »
Wilbe Lead, If you didn't already know, the 50 AE barrel, recoil springs and magazines will work perfect on a 44 Mag frame. It would save a chunk of change by buying the conversion kit.

I used to have the set but like Conan posted, it got sold and doesn't go to the range anymore.
GLB

Offline MarkJ_Thompson

50AE
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2004, 02:41:51 PM »
Don't bother with the 50AE if you already have a 44MAG. The 50AE turns a pistol into a conversation piece. It is powerful, expensive to shoot and if you missed the boat when they debut it will be a swim to impress most people with one now.

Mark "Suckered into a 50AE back in the mid 1990's" Thompson

LAR Grizzly 50
capacity 6+1
56 oz
parkerized
6.5" barrel
(no longer in production) $1400 included WA State Tax, 2 boxes ammo and Reloading Dies

Guns & Ammo March 1994
Article Monster Magnums, Big-bore Shootout
AMT Automag, Magnum Research DE & LAR Grizzly50

If you want me to scan the article just shout.