Author Topic: Tip or info for loading 38-55  (Read 362 times)

Offline Grumpybear

• Trade Count: (0)
Tip or info for loading 38-55
« on: November 14, 2012, 10:15:13 AM »
Ok second try

I just recieved the stuff to reload for my new to me 38-55 target classic. I will use mostly the stuff on hand.

new starline brass 2.162"
cci 200 primers
imr 3031
hunters supply 260 gr cast bullets .381 dia

I loaded up some dummy loads to see how they would chamber. the first one was ugly. I use a rcbs neck expander die and the second stage kicked in. Made it look like a school bell. what the heck I'll try it any way. Pressed in the bullet and lightly crimped it.

It droped into the chamber but was a friction fit to close. Had to push it out and it had a nice shiny ring were it was rubbing.

Sry a little hard to see.
Pressing on I loaded a second cartridge. I was very carefull not to get to much bell on it. The bullet pressed in good, no shaveing. Still looks like a reverse bottle neck but I'm not sure much can be done about it. I did rotate the cartridge several times to try and get the buldge to stay in the center.

This time the cartridge droped in and closed without any friction and lifted out ez. Whew I was hopeing that the chamber would not need any work.

So if any one has any comments or ideas that would make loading this round any ezr it would help a lot.
I do plan on test fireing a lit round to compare the brass for major problems but don't expect any.

Thanks Grumpy
Old enuff to know better, young enuff to keep trying
"So this is what the death of freedom sounds like ... roaring applause"  Padmae

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: Tip or info for loading 38-55
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 12:50:04 PM »
http://4-dproducts.com/displayitem.php?rowid=441&tname=rental

Common problem in the H&R. Ream the chamber neck to .400
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline .22-5-40

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 02:15:24 PM »
Hello, Grumpybear.  This is a common problem with the .38-55.  These were designed for black powder..and as such, depended upon the kick of the powder charge to upset a slightly undersized lead bullet fully into rifling.
   I have an original Winchester High-Wall with this problem... The groove dia. is .379".  Even using the thinner Starline original length brass, in order to chamber a .380" dia. bullet, I must ream/polish inside case neck.
   What is your groove dia.?  Might try going to exact groove..or .001" above.

Offline Grumpybear

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 02:47:38 PM »
I sluged the bore at .381. Finding bullets this size seems to limit the choices, I may have to goto casting my own sooner rather then later.

On the pictures I posted the first cartridge with the friction fit, on the shiny ring you can just make out, mics to .402 so I think I have a .400 chamber already. Just have to be carefull when I expand the neck.

From what I can see I nay have to get some custom molds and sizers, I sure don't see much in .381

Grumpy
Old enuff to know better, young enuff to keep trying
"So this is what the death of freedom sounds like ... roaring applause"  Padmae

Offline Modoc

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 04:42:10 PM »
Are your dies the RCBS Cowboy dies or regular RCBS Dies?  I noticed a huge difference going from the Lee dies to the RCBS Cowboy. The didn't size down as much and the expander is a bit larger for the cast bullets.