Author Topic: .475 linebaugh  (Read 611 times)

Offline bosephus

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
.475 linebaugh
« on: November 06, 2012, 08:00:06 PM »

has anyone here ever  used any of the norma123  in the .475 , as near as i can figure it is pretty close to 296/110  .

i have nearly 10 lbs to use  and it sure seems to be a good fit for the .475 linebaugh .

if you happen to have an opinion feel free to share it , along with any actual experiance you may have

Offline Hairy Chest

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: .475 linebaugh
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 05:30:27 AM »
If your load is 26 grains H110 then for comparable pressures and velocities with NormaR123 you would need 22 grains.  I'm going by Quickload. 
Study after study has shown how dangerous distracted driving is yet people continue to talk on their cell phones while driving. Driving in the U.S. requires your full attention. Many states and countries have made it illegal to use a cell phone while operating a motor vehicle and the federal government should follow their lead. Banning the use of cell phones while driving would have the added benefit of making the no-texting law enforceable.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 01:07:19 AM »
ive allways considered 123 another version of aa9
blue lives matter

Offline bosephus

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 03:43:04 PM »

i loaded up 20 rounds today with a 420 grn bullet  and 19.5 grains of 123 , hopefully i get to give em a try tomarow after work

Offline Hairy Chest

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 08:05:17 PM »
What primer are you using? 
Study after study has shown how dangerous distracted driving is yet people continue to talk on their cell phones while driving. Driving in the U.S. requires your full attention. Many states and countries have made it illegal to use a cell phone while operating a motor vehicle and the federal government should follow their lead. Banning the use of cell phones while driving would have the added benefit of making the no-texting law enforceable.

Offline bosephus

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 05:45:15 PM »
  primers are cci magnum pistol .

the 123 seems to shoot pretty decent , groups are right with what i get using 296 .

3-4 inches resting on a bag  at 50 yds , this happens to be about as well as i can shoot with iron sights and aging eyes .

i have another 25 loaded up to try sunday , im mounting my scope back on it  to see just how well they do  and in preperation for deer season

Offline Hairy Chest

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 06:22:40 AM »
Scopes work great, but the .475 can be hard on them.  I shot this group at 200 yards with my Leupy, but then later the recoil pulled the elevation adjuster out.  It was laying in the sand behind me. Leupold took care of it and I re-installed it.  Using the right powder is sooooo important.

Offline bosephus

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 10:20:48 AM »
 knock on wood , i havent had any issues with my m8 fixed 2 power  leo  once  i got enough rings on it to keep it from turning .

i did try a few more today with the scope on , no real conclusive results though , i got the same 3-4 inch groups at 50yds  as i got with the irons on . i didnt have enough loaded up to say for sure if it was me having a bad day  or the load .  i can usualy halve the groups using the scope

ill get some more loaded up this week at 19.5   grains and  probly start stepping up the charge a bit
and see what shakes out 

Offline Hairy Chest

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 12:29:26 PM »
knock on wood , i havent had any issues with my m8 fixed 2 power  leo  once  i got enough rings on it to keep it from turning .

i did try a few more today with the scope on , no real conclusive results though , i got the same 3-4 inch groups at 50yds  as i got with the irons on . i didnt have enough loaded up to say for sure if it was me having a bad day  or the load .  i can usualy halve the groups using the scope

ill get some more loaded up this week at 19.5   grains and  probly start stepping up the charge a bit
and see what shakes out

I'm assuming you're working up loads because a half-grain can make the difference between a one-hole group and 2".  My advice is go up in charge until you get some sticking, then back down.  That is your max.  Now work down to find the accuracy.  It will probably be 1 to 1 1/2 grains below max. 

Secondly, you need to bench the revolver, good leather bag for the rear and bag up front at the end of the barrel.  Now look at the POI and where is the crosshair?  If it is high, lower the front bag.  Beat the rear bag with the butt and look.  Where is the crosshair?  If it is higher, then lower the bag again.  Do this routine until when you beat the bag, the reticle rises 3" from the point of aim.  Now squeeze the bag just a little and firmly seat the butt against it.  Aim the reticle and keep beating until it is centered.  Now hold the butt down against the bag, lock it down, squeeze tight both hands and pull the trigger.  You will see what method results best for your benching technique.  The .475 needs to be held tightly because it is squirmy, not like 10" 45-70 revolver.  You can shoot that one-handed.   ;D

Offline bosephus

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 11:59:55 AM »

well the 123 seems to act just like w296 .. as in it likes heavy loads .

i got to shoot  a few loads after work today .

19.5 grain loads stayed right a ta 3-4 inch group  with the same results for my 20 , 20.5 and 21 grain loads .

at 21.5 things started to tighten up with a 2.5 in group

22 grains shrunk down to my normal 1.5-2.5 in  that i get using 296   , as the cases was still falling out without any signs of being sticky  i went ahead and loaded up 10 more with 22.5 grains  and disaster struck on the second round .
i neglected to check the ejecter rod housing screw , it sheared off and the housing w rod and spring went flying .
30 minutes of frantic searching later i managed to recover everything .

unfortunatly  this wasnt the first time this happened , as much as i hate to do it i can see red loctite  in my future