Author Topic: Do you use Lyman M-dies for pistol  (Read 1061 times)

Offline hornady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Do you use Lyman M-dies for pistol
« on: July 04, 2012, 03:09:40 AM »

Like many things in reloading and casting what works for me may not for another.
The Redding G-RX die is a good example. I shoot a Glock 22, and reload with Lyman dies. The set I have will not size any bulge on 40 cases. I have a friend that ran the problematic case threw his Dillion dies with no problem. So all my 40 Brass now goes threw the G-RX Die.
Back to the Lyman M-die. I cast for four different Rifle calipers and use M-dies on each.
I also cast 7 different pistol rounds, but have never seen the need for the M-die with Lyman standard pistol dies. I have also used Lee dies. I do not like the floating inside expander in Lee Dies, but they two have always had the ability, to go deep enough to insert cast bullets without any shaving of Lead.
So what is the advantage of the M-Die with Straight wall Pistol cases, I have been Reading on other forums of the use and Modification of M-dies for use on Straight wall pistol cases.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Do you use Lyman M-dies for pistol
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 11:22:25 PM »
 I cant see any advantage over a properly set up standard expander die.
blue lives matter

Offline Nobade

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 01:05:08 AM »
The M die does the same thing as the normal expander die in a regular pistol set.

I do frequently make different stems for the expanders, normally to make them larger in diameter to better fit cast bullets sized to a particular firearm, or to make them longer to fit wadcutters. But the concept is the same.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline Hank08

• Trade Count: (35)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 02:04:32 PM »
Dies for straight wall pistol cases are 3 die sets. With Lyman dies the 3rd die is a M die. In other pistol die sets it's the equivalent of the M die. They began with Lyman because they are for using cast bullets and Lyman was the main manufacturer of cast bullet products for many years. Other reloading co. also make them now. So yes you do need a M die or the equivalent oif one with straight wall cases.  H08

Offline anachronism

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 05:29:09 AM »
M Dies have a different configuration from simple case flaring dies. They have an additional "pilot" area for seating the bullet. I'm experimenting with them for cast bullets to try to make my bullet pull more consistent between lots of brass. Of course the only way to do this is to do long term experimentation, and see if either style of case flaring is showing better accuracy than the other. This has been a bad year for personal time, which primarily precludes practically all shooting, soI don't have even the remotest results yet. My concern with simple case flaring dies has been bullet base damage from squeezing cast bullets in tightly sized brass. It's probably unfounded, but what the heck.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 03:40:03 PM »
I have an old Lyman M die and have made some different spuds for it on my lathe, but a few years ago picked up the inexpensive Lee Universal Belling Die, The easy to use design of that die body lends itself to making various reloading tools, one of which is a 'M' die because the spuds are so quick to turn to your specs and swap out. You can pull both the belling spuds out and use the base dimension for your custom spud tips, no need to make threads or studs to screw in as on the Lyman.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline hornady

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 01:31:07 AM »
Anachronism
Thank you your answer was the one I was looking for, I use the M-die for 5 different rifle rounds. But never saw a need for them in the cast pistol rounds. But read on another forum a discussion on the use of M-dies in cast pistol rounds. I guess I am just not that picky about my cast handgun ammo. Its accurate enough for the pistol shooting I do. I do know in rifle cast bullets, I use the Lee Die for a few years but after switching to the M-die the cast rifle groups tightened up nicely.