Author Topic: I wouldn't mind having one of these at rush hour .  (Read 500 times)

Offline Anna

• Trade Count: (0)
I wouldn't mind having one of these at rush hour .
« on: November 17, 2012, 04:43:25 AM »
In a fender bender I'm betting the damage to my vehicle would be minimal  ;D 
Seriously, my oldest brother and my dad are actually getting ready to head out to this auction.
They have their eyes on the half track or the German rocket launcher. But after reading up on these things I tried to tell them that they are not exactly fuel efficient vehicles.Even for a week end joy ride
they would be lucky to get over 30 mph out of them. And they go by gallons per mile and not the
other way around. They didn't listen as usual, boys and their toys.  ::) ::)

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/slideshow/2012/11/16/ww-ii-vehicles-battle-for-bids-at-auction/?intcmp=features#sl=undefined&slide=1

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: I wouldn't mind having one of these at rush hour .
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 10:14:37 AM »
Yea, I looked at that Fiat Half Track Rocket Launcher.  I could use that to go to my cabin.  But if it broke where could I get parts?
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 01:02:55 PM »
Italy would be my first thought.

If I had the funds, a smaller half track would suit me.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline rkeltner

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 04:48:05 AM »
in defense of the men of your life, many (most) men would go to drool, just like a car show!

Offline ChungDoQuan

• Eisenhower Conservative
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 04:57:33 AM »
With some of them, no matter where your cabin is, you can get there--- probably get there in a straight line, if you wanted to.  8)
If you give up, THEY don't have to win.

"'Cause what they do in Washington, they just take care of number 1. And number 1 ain't you. $__t, you ain't even number 2!" Frank Zappa

The greatest idea the right ever had is personal responsibility; the greatest idea the left ever had is social responsibility. Both take effort.

The Founding Fathers had complete access to the Bible, but they came up with the Constitution as our governing document.

Offline Conan The Librarian

• McDonalds. Blecch!
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 05:29:39 AM »
The first car I ever wanted was #6, the amphibious truck. I still want one. While everyone else wanted a pickup, I had one of these in mind. For somewhat less amphibious driving, I've got a soft spot in my heart for the Unimog, converted to a camper. I think you can still drive through six feet of water, but it doesn't float.

True story: When I was a kid, I lived within easy walking distance of a patch of unused land that was a dump for WW2 trucks, armored vehicles and other equipment. It was overgrown with vegetation and you couldn't see it from the road. We used to spend a lot of time playing in there, crawling through the half tracks and troop carriers and specialized vehicles. Heaven for a 10 year old boy!

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 06:32:32 AM »

True story: When I was a kid, I lived within easy walking distance of a patch of unused land that was a dump for WW2 trucks, armored vehicles and other equipment. It was overgrown with vegetation and you couldn't see it from the road. We used to spend a lot of time playing in there, crawling through the half tracks and troop carriers and specialized vehicles. Heaven for a 10 year old boy!
;D that would be heaven to a kid alright.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     bugeye

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 06:46:01 AM »
I knew a guy who used half tracks to get timber out of swamps and in the mts. said they worked great. this was before timber jacks , back in the day of mules pulling a log out at a time.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

• McDonalds. Blecch!

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 08:04:10 AM »
Unimog +1 a Mercedes production. ;D
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 03:20:45 AM »
The first car I ever wanted was #6, the amphibious truck. I still want one. While everyone else wanted a pickup, I had one of these in mind. For somewhat less amphibious driving, I've got a soft spot in my heart for the Unimog, converted to a camper. I think you can still drive through six feet of water, but it doesn't float.

True story about a Unimog: A few years ago a town 25 miles or so south of me bought a Unimog rigged up as a run & gun fire truck to fight the grass fires that are so common in the spring here. I don't remember the exact cost but it was a bunch. There was a big front page article on the rig and how it was unstoppable.  There was a follow up story on the front page after the first fire it was deployed on. It seems Unimogs don't go with a bunch of flat tires.  ;D It required some more funds for puncture proof tires. I guess the city commissioners that approved the original purchase had no experience driving in mesquite bushes.

• McDonalds. Blecch!
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 04:03:06 AM »
Wow, even the people at Mercedes would have been surprised by that. The Unimog was designed for European terrain, including mud, snow, streams, etc.