Author Topic: Magazine article  (Read 1068 times)

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
Magazine article
« on: November 07, 2012, 06:44:45 PM »

I figure folks that love H&Rs are back to basic do it yourself types and I thought this might go together well. The Nov./Dec 2012 issue of "The Backwoodsman" has an article on reloading  20 ga shotshells and slugs without formal loading tools.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: Magazine article
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 01:21:45 AM »
Darn.  The November edition is out but not at the usual place at the Walmart magazine rack.  They musta missed it or quit carring it.   :(

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 08:25:04 AM »

I'd say it's worth lookin for. The guy even makes a slug mould out of wood.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline Defoe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 09:49:27 AM »
Darn.  The November edition is out but not at the usual place at the Walmart magazine rack.  They musta missed it or quit carring it.   :(
at my walmart, they are with the DIY magazines instead of huntin & fishin....

Offline phoneman7

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 01:37:42 PM »
I'll have to stop by tractor supply tommorow and pick it up.  The last issue talked about single shot 12 gauges

Offline JoseBob

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 02:20:31 PM »
I am a lifetime subscriber to that mag.  Several years ago, I built a "hand loader" for shotgun shells.  It was made for 12 ga, but I have reloaded 12, 16, and 20 ga on it.  It is a pretty neat deal.  I last loaded 20 ga shells.  I cut the crimp off, repimed and loaded the shell with 85 gr of pyrodex, 7 layers of stryofoam egg carton on top of the powder, and a patched .600 round ball.  I covered the top of the shell with elmer's glue.  My 20 ga. Handi shorty will put 3 of these rounds into a space you can cover with your palm  at 60 yards.  That 85 gr load is just about a 3 dram equiv. load.  82 gr is 3 drams.  My measure is in 5 gr. increments. 

Its good fun and good to take both deer and hog in my area.   Bobby
Draw a fine bead on em Son!

Offline phoneman7

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 02:45:21 PM »
cool, might have to try some black powder 12 gauge loads like on youtube. 

Offline phoneman7

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 03:06:50 PM »
Josebob, you think a 680 patched would work for a 12 gauge?  found this one http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/1195/1/MOLD-BAG-680  thought it would be nice with a patch.  90 grains o pyrodex and one of these.  What do ya think?

Offline JoseBob

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 03:09:47 PM »
That is a good mold and would work in a shot cup in a regular 12 ga.  The screw in choke is an extra plus full.  Iffin I remember right it was .660 diameter which puts in 16 ga. territory.  I would not try to throw a round ball out of that barrel with that choke.  Iffin ya got a more open choke, say modified, bout .710  then a patched .690 would work or the .680 you mentioned either in a shot cup or maybe double patched.  Lots of options, just make sure the ball isn't too big for the end of the barrel it comes out of.  Use BP or equivalent substitue and you won't have to many problems. Ya do not need to exceed 100 gr by volume of BP.  have fun my friend....  Bobby
Draw a fine bead on em Son!

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 07:43:08 AM »
Luv it JoseBob..!  Ya got style!  Egg cartons, awesome.  Folks here have me figured I'd need a couple hundred buck worth of fancy wads and slugs.  I gotta get that Mag.
LUK.
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline Yak Angler

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 01:13:10 PM »
After reading this post I ordered that mag, can't wait for it to come in looks right up my alley with all of the self sustainable living type of articles.