Author Topic: newbie wants to build  (Read 1188 times)

Offline D-Wayne

• Trade Count: (0)
newbie wants to build
« on: March 25, 2004, 05:05:04 PM »
I really new into cannons/mortars.  I've only built potato guns and want to upgrade.  after reading most of the stuff about cannons/mortars i realize i don't know or understand much.  I realize i shouldn't ruch into this to stay alive so what advice do you have.  maybe a small project to start out on.  I have access to a foundry that does casting, welding, metal work.  basically any tools i think i would need. thanks

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
newbie wants to build
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2004, 12:23:29 PM »
D-Wayne,

Do have any idea what it is you want to build? Mortar? Cannon? Naval gun? Fieldgun? Scale model? Full scale?  Kit?  Build from scratch?

Courtesy of Jim Waits and my collection we can set you up with scratch built plans.

Tell us what you have in mind.

Cruise around the Blackpowder and Cannon Shooting resources we have posted at the top of this board and you can find some ideas.

Offline D-Wayne

cannon
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2004, 03:27:26 PM »
I want to build a cannon that i can shoot something about the size of a pool ball.  i guess that would be like a 2.5 inch bore.

Offline Double D

newbie wants to build
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2004, 03:49:21 PM »
The old standby Beer can mortar is 2.6 inch.  Fairly simple to make.  A heck of a bunch of fun.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: newbie wants to build
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2004, 02:17:36 AM »
Quote from: D-Wayne
I really new into cannons/mortars.  I've only built potato guns and want to upgrade.  after reading most of the stuff about cannons/mortars i realize i don't know or understand much.  I realize i shouldn't ruch into this to stay alive so what advice do you have.  maybe a small project to start out on.  I have access to a foundry that does casting, welding, metal work.  basically any tools i think i would need. thanks

Just starting - and thinking of building?  That's a really big giant step.  I realize that 'buy' is a 4 letter word, but you might want to try gaining a little experience before building.  

(OK, OK, I know I started by making my own blackpowder and made 'cannons' from iron pipe.  I also knew for years that I'd never live to see 21.)

Experience has taught me that the place to start is to look at what places you have to shoot.  What ranges?  100 yard ranges are common.  So plan for something with short range.  (Let me state the obvious - to fire a mortar with 500 yard range on a 100 yard range is going to be both frustrating and potentially dangerous from over shooting the backstop.)

Next - find someone who's into it.  There is much to learn and enjoy with others.  N-SSA is an active group and has great safety procedures (see also our listings on safety).

Keep it safe, keep it legal (there isn't a cannon out there that's worth getting jailed for) and keep us posted.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline D-Wayne

beer can mortar
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2004, 11:24:09 AM »
can anyone tell me how or where to find out how to build a beer can mortar. thank you

Offline Blaster

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
newbie wants to build
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2004, 12:24:29 PM »
Wow, guess I've been living out in the "sticks" too long.  What in the world is a poop ball??  If it's what is sounds like, I sure don't want to fire it in my cannon or mortar..  D-Wayne, what general area of our Country do you live in?  Blaster (Bob)
Graduate of West Point (West Point, Iowa that is)

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: beer can mortar
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2004, 04:09:02 PM »
Quote from: D-Wayne
can anyone tell me how or where to find out how to build a beer can mortar. thank you

Here's a quick overview - perhaps enough to get you started in the right direction.  All take some machining by one means or another.  There are advantages and disadvantages to each.

1. Make a split pattern - generally wood - have it rammed up in the flask (cope and drag) with green sand.  Remove the pattern and the plugs put in for sprue and riser, use moulding spoons to cut a pour hole and then reassemble the flask; pour in the molten iron.  Advantage - cheap when you're making many copies.  Disadvantage - still requires machiing of the bore, trunions and touch-hole.  Disadvantage - takes skills and equipment not generally found in local machine shops.  Disadvantage - strength of iron (or bronze) is questionable.  Most organizations require a steel sleeve inserted into the bore for strength.  

2. Take a steel tube (4140 or 4130) that is precisely made (DOM - drawn over mandrel tubing) of the correct size bore and sufficient strength.  Make a plug for one end.  Thread both, assemble, weld (must be preheated to some 700 degrees F. to preclude cracking - good luck!).  Trunions can be added by welding or fitting a ring around the tube or a ball-end that fits into a socket in the base-plate.

3. Start with a solid round billet of 4140.  Turn on lathe.  Bore the hole.  Cut the vent.  Attach the trunion.  This is how I make mine.  Limiting factor - boring the hole - hard to go deep, time consuming.  See avitar on left of my 4.5".  

You will see beer-can caliber mortars in the price range of 500 to 800 bucks.  After you make a few you'll think that's cheap!

If you're going to compete you want to look into the rules for the organization - most will require that they be a particular caliber and be patterened after a particular model - full scale too.

There is, of course, the consideration of safety.  How thick should the walls be?  Is it going to be of a Coehorn style (powder chamber in thickest part of the tube (for strength)?  This is where the ENGINEERING of the design comes in.  

This is a most serious game.  Once you've seen a supposedly well designed cannon blow up (up front and personal) your whole perspective on design changes.

Again, good luck.  Make a decision as to what you want and what direction you're headed with this - that'll make advise easier.
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Double D

newbie wants to build
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2004, 06:12:36 PM »
To briefly describe the process for CW's  No. 3  above to build a tube.

Material
6" x 12" steel shfting.
2" x 10 " steel shaft

Drill/bore a hole 1 5/8 diameter 9 1/2 inches deep.  Enlarge hole to a depth of 8 inches so an aluminum beverage can or Campbells soup can will slide in. This will leave a 1 5/8"x 1 1/2 " powder chamber   the Vent hole should be twice the diameter of your fuse and center going into the powder chamber.

Weld 2" x 10 " shaft an back end.

Use this drawing to build the rest.  Nothing is critical.

Offline Mike Scott

• Avid Poster
Drilling the hole?
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2004, 07:27:21 AM »
Is it possible to drill the bore by hand for  abeer can size and get it smooth/straight enough?

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
newbie wants to build
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2004, 11:55:45 AM »
The surface finish you get will depend on how slow you drill and how effectively you clear the chips.

It can be done.  The bore won't be extremely smooth, but good enough.
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline jimwaits

• http://www.rooksbluff.com
Newbie Wants to Build
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2004, 03:47:27 PM »
Wheew!! you sure biting off a mighty big chunk to try and drill out a hole that big and that deep by hand! Very hard to find large bit to fit hand type drill motor.  Most large bits have Morse taper shanks.
   I have a machine shop and I would have big trouble trying to do that job because there is no way for me to support that 12 inch piece where I can use a boring bar. Don't know about a drill bit if I could get one long enough. It would have the wrong shank for sure...and it is very difficult to make an extension for a large drill bit. You would probably need a 16inch lathe or bigger. Mine is only a 13 inch lathe. Lots of luck on the hand work and keep us posted on the progress.
Jim Waits