Author Topic: Coming to Alaska  (Read 171 times)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Coming to Alaska
« on: November 18, 2012, 09:20:39 AM »
If any of you plan a trip to Alaska contact me first.  Several of my High School classmates came to Alaska last year on tours.  I bearly had a chance to see them and not any chance to visit for more than 15 minutes.  The tour companies have your schedule booked so tight there is little time for anything else.  There is so much to see in and around Fairbanks, it's a shame to have to live by the tour companies schedule.

A few years back my good friend Larry mentioned he was coming up on a tour.  His tour started in Anchorage going south.  I had Larry book his flight up a week early.  He and his wife flew into Fairbanks, where I picked him up.   Larry being my best friend in high school he and his wife stayed with us at our home.  My wife made a great tour guide, she arrainged for them to ride the Riverboat Discovery, down the Chena River.  Then we took them to the Eldarado Gold Mine, where they got to pan for GOLD and the found some.  Granted just a couple of bucks worth, but they were excited.  Larry really liked the River Boat ride as well.  Then Larry decided he wanted to see the YUKON River.  So we loaded into my truck and went North, up the Haul Road.  Both Larry and his wife were impressed by the size of the Yukon, and the bridge across the river.  Then there is the Pipeline, hanging from the bridge as well.  We walked the river bank, and I explained why all the boats were tied up there, with loads of vehicles sitting at the boat landing area.  How the villagers along the river keep trucks there so when they want to go to Fairbanks they have transportation from the boat landing.

As we were getting ready to drive back south Larry saw the sign reading Arctic Circle with the miles posted.  Larry decided they wanted to go to the Arctic Circle, just so he could say he has been there.  So off we went.  We stopped at snow fields, so his wife who had never touched snow, could play in the snow.  Then on to the Arctic Circle.  All that is there is a big sign, and an outhouse.  I made their pictures at the sign.  Larry has an enlargement of that picture hanging on the wall of his office.  Then back to Fairbanks.  Then we all drove to Anchorage.  Once in Anchorage we took the train to Seward, a much prettier, and more scenic trip than the one from Fairbanks to Anchorage.  Along the way we saw Grizzly Bears, Moose, and a whole bunch of wildlife.  We took the train One way, and the wife met us in Seward with the truck.  We visited the Sea Life Center along with the rest of the train passengers, then we took them to EXIT glacier.  We saw Mt Goats along the cliffs at the Glacier, along with Dall Sheep.  Black Bears were on the hill side as well.  We drove the Highway back and it runs in a different valley than the train.  We drove along Kenai Lake, then up through Turnagin Pass.  Then around Trunagin Arm.  On the North side of Turnagin Arm you drive along the Chugach Mountains.  Mountains on one side and the water of Turnagin Arm on the other.  We were very fortunate to see a pod of Baluga Whales out in the Arm.  Then on to Anchorage.  The next day they caught the train to Whittier and the start of their Boat cruise.

Now Larry is still my best friend and I spend three months at his house during the winter.  That is why I got so involved with his tour.  But I can help anyone coming to Alaska with information you are not going to get from the tour companies.  I can tell you about things you might want to see.  And most important don't make your reservations until you talk to me, because once your reservati0ons are made you are locked in.  Rog
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline FPH

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Coming to Alaska
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 09:32:18 AM »
Very generous offer.....thanks.