Author Topic: you guys ready for winter  (Read 806 times)

Offline stimpylu32

• Trade Count: (67)
you guys ready for winter
« on: October 27, 2012, 02:41:51 AM »
Well you all got your snow shovels sharpened and the new gas in the blowers ?
 Its COMING , as much as I hate to admit it , the cold is upon us and it looks to be a nasty one this year . I got the tranny fixed on the big Dodge 4x4 and am considering adding a block heater to it as they are predicting a colder than normal Dec & Jan . And to make matters worse , it looks like I'm spending the winter OUTSIDE this year , new project just coming out of the ground and no heat till mid March = YUCK !

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Empty Quiver

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: you guys ready for winter
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 04:22:50 PM »
You know your rig, but if it is fuel injected I'm not sure I would waste the time or money on a block heater. I moved to Mn. from Il. where temps are much like Oh.

My Expedition has started at -38 degrees after sitting 36hrs in the parking lot at work. 3 year old battery to boot, last year the 6 yr old battery slugged it out down to -20. I wonder if this year will find me battery shopping.

I feel for you as far as outside work goes. Mn. cold is not damp like your part of the country. -10 sucks no doubt, but 25 and damp ain't no picnic.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline jedman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
  • Retired and livin the dream !
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 11:14:43 PM »
   My wife and I spent most of saturday puttin up firewood,  still had a cord or two leftover from last year because it was so mild.  Hope you are wrong about this winter.
   Jed
Current handi family, 24 ga./ 58 cal ,50-70,  45 smokeless MZ, 44 belted bodeen, 44 mag,.375 H&R (wildcat),375 Win.,357 max, .340 MF ( wildcat ), 8 mm Lebel, 8x57, .303 British, 270 x 57 R,(wildcat) 256 Win Mag, 2 x 243 Win,2 x 223 Rem. 7-30 Waters &20ga.,

Offline Catfish

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 11:58:11 AM »
Look at the bright side, you`ll be able to set out all day hunt because you`ll be used to it.  ;)  Will I see you Sat. at Lima? I`ll buy the coffie and you can pick up the stakes.  ;D

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 03:52:02 AM »
The boys got about 3 cords split, have to do another 3 or 4 for the entire winter. Have to get the generators out and run them for a 1/2 hour or so, I like to get them ready and run them just before the real nasty hits. Youngest will get out and disc the garden pretty soon, and then it's time to put the blade on for snow. Catfish, I'll take that cup of coffee at the Lima show this weekend!! :D  gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline stimpylu32

• Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 11:00:47 AM »
When I said it was coming , I didn't mean like today !!!!! , it was just flat nasty outside today , cold & wet , I'm thinking FLORIDA

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline BIG Dog454

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 04:34:43 AM »
Garden is all cleaned out. crops canned, frozen, or put in the cellar.  have to stack and split a couple of cords yet but most of it is is stacked under the overhand, good to go as is till the mid Jan.  Got one deer hangin and 2 freezers full.
BD

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 02:25:56 AM »
I bought a bunch of wood pellets for my stove.  The stove keeps me and the dogs warm while we ignore winter. ;)   BTW, these little round wood pellets are very hard to split & stack, anybody got any ideas on this? ::)

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline Catfish

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 12:24:19 PM »
Biker, I`ve found that they are alot eaiser to stack if you put so glue on them.

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 12:35:37 PM »
After living thru another Alabama summer.......................COME ON WINTER !!!! Just maybe give me some nice cool Fall before you get here.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline mcbammer

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 01:33:08 PM »
Dont  think  it  will  frost   before  Thanksgiving  here  .  Im  still  picking  tomato s   out  of  the garden.

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 07:16:58 AM »
Returned from deer camp where I encountered everything from 50 degrees rain and 30mph wind to 14 degrees 2" of snow, and back to 45 degrees and balmy breezes. Most gear got a trial run this past week. I still need a good pack for the extra clothing required for a comfortable day on stand. Overheating on the way in will kill a good mornings hunt in two hours time.

I suppose I am now ready though. We are starting to see skim ice on the lakes, the sky is full of geese heading out for the warm water. It will be good to get out on the lakes again here at months end ( hopefully ) for some fishing.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**