Author Topic: Action Opening  (Read 537 times)

Offline KRex

• Trade Count: (8)
Action Opening
« on: November 24, 2012, 01:58:48 PM »
   I've tried to search FAQ's but there is no matches with the same issue .. only action/barrel fitting. So here goes it.

Issue:   I've got a 410 and throughly cleaned it before using it and read FAQ about oiling the latch and this area. @ 50 % of the time the action opens after firing. This concerns me for safety reasons and what possible damage it could do to the firearm.
  Any Suggestions ... I only fire factory ammunition.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Action Opening
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 02:13:53 PM »
It is unlikely to cause any damage, but is unsettling when it happens nontheless.  Snap the action together smartly when closing.  Is this the original barrel on the frame?  Do you have at least some freeplay in the latch lever when the action is closed?  If there is no freeplay, the latch may not be fully engaging.

Sometimes just making sure the latch is dry, and closing with authority will resolve the issue.  In other cases, a poorly fit barrel, or even a latch spring issue could be the culprit.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline scratchmark

• Trade Count: (90)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 02:53:33 AM »
Unless i'm mistaken, the latch shelf should be clean and DRY with no oil.
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should atleast find ya handi

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 04:54:06 AM »
Remove the forend, if the barrel is nice and tight while locked up and there are no gaps between the barrel and standing breech, it's prolly just oil on the latch and locking shelf, that's the biggest reason for shotgun  pop-opens other than a poorly fitted barrel. Be sure to check it with a round in the chamber too, if the chamber is cut wrong and won't allow the gun to lock up properly because the rim cut isn't deep enough, it would pop open too, that would require a factory repair.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline KRex

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 08:40:14 AM »
  I appreciate the assistance with the experience. I'll go and De-Grease/Oil the latch and surrounding area. After that a new latch spring or maybe sent back to the factory.
  Unfortunatly, I won't be able to test it as I'm busy the next couple of weekends ... Life of living in a city ...  :-[