Author Topic: Bowling ball mortar.  (Read 852 times)

Offline kaboom

• Trade Count: (0)
Bowling ball mortar.
« on: November 18, 2012, 03:30:01 PM »
I have posted here before and have read most of what has been written about bowling ball mortars as well as others that shoot projectiles.  I understand that local laws may effect or limit the use but I have a few questions that come to mind that you guys can answer.
First is projectiles.  Can one shoot projectiles legally in a black powder cannon?  I am thinking of two instances.  One is golfball size and the other close to three inches.  Can I shoot something like pop cans or vegetable cans filled with ice or concrete as a projectile?
The second is another one that will probably bring up some debate.  But I need to know. 
Can I shoot balling balls? 
Is a mortar designed like a stokes still off limits?  Seemed like in one post someone posted a letter from the BATF that classified a blackpowder cannon/mortar was ok.  So can one shoot a bowling ball mortar with a stokes design? 

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
Re: Bowling ball mortar.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 04:59:52 PM »
If you look at   http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php?topic=250125.0   reply # 50  its the ATF reply to my inquiry about bowling ball mortars. Seems someone has a letter about stokes design also , not sure where.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 09:10:54 PM »
See http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,76866.html for the info regarding a Stokes design.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline kaboom

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 04:00:00 PM »
Thanks for the links.  I just picked up a bowling ball mortar locally.  It's looks is similar to that of a stoke's.  Just wanted to know a little more on the subject.  I had the guy weld on some trunions so I can figure out a way to possibly mount it to a base or carriage of some sort.  Ideas?
I will get pics posted here in a few days.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 10:15:18 PM »
Depends whether you went with a breech trunnion (like an 1841 seacoast) or barrel trunnions (like an 1861 siege.)

We await the pix.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 02:47:15 AM »
Thanks for the links.  I just picked up a bowling ball mortar locally.  It's looks is similar to that of a stoke's.  Just wanted to know a little more on the subject.  I had the guy weld on some trunions so I can figure out a way to possibly mount it to a base or carriage of some sort.  Ideas?
I will get pics posted here in a few days.

What does the powder chamber look like?

Offline kaboom

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 06:58:30 PM »
The powder chamber is machined out of 5 /12" by 5 1/2 round stock with a 2x2" powder chamber. 
This was made at a large machine shop.  The same machine shop also took the O2 tanks and put them on the lathe and trued up the inner bore to the correct windage.  They also did the welding of the chamber to te tanks.  They have the right tools to do the job correct.  The rest of it was done buy another welder who did the trunions for latter use on a carriage but also did the ball mount, base plate and legs.  Did a real good job.  Did a test fire before he finishish all up and paint.  Did a very nice job.  I will get pics when I get it set up and fire it.

Here's another cool fact.  After I commisioned the Cannon/Morter I stated looking for balls.  Got lucky and found a local alley tat was closed.  The guy sold the cannon maker and I all the balls and pins for a heck of a deal.  Boy do we have balls.

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 07:10:43 PM »
Here's another cool fact.  After I commisioned the Cannon/Morter I stated looking for balls.  Got lucky and found a local alley tat was closed.  The guy sold the cannon maker and I all the balls and pins for a heck of a deal.  Boy do we have balls.

Now you're gonna have to make a mortar that shoots bowling pins. There is a picture of such a mortar at this site: http://www.nmpproducts.com/rt07.htm
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!