Author Topic: reloading the Handi  (Read 1123 times)

Offline 45/70fan

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Contributor
reloading the Handi
« on: November 29, 2012, 05:04:26 AM »
Life has changed and I no longer have anywhere to set up my reloading equipment. I'm looking at getting a Handi in .223 or .243, can either of these be neck sized only if reloading with cartridges fired only out of this one rifle? Looking at the little Lee kit and they neck size only from what I understand.

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
Re: reloading the Handi
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 05:08:02 AM »
45/70---Never had much luck neck sizing for the handi.  Usually to much frame flex that causes the cartridge to be stretched a little.  Always had to bump the shoulder slightly on my 7mm-08 and 308.

Couldn't get consistent lock up.

Your mileage may vary........

Bobby
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 05:08:45 AM »
Neck sizing only is NOT handi friendly.

It will work for a time and how long depends on the op pressure. Higher the pressure worse it is. Light pressure loadings may work just fine. Neither of your calibers are lo pressure.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline 45/70fan

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 05:17:21 AM »
Thanks guys. I'm really wanting a .357, but I can't find any available from anywhere I've tried, so these are my 2 other options I've been looking at. Sounds like have to be factory loads....  :(

Offline OSOK

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 05:36:11 AM »
What about the Lee Hand Press? Not much bigger, and you could use FL dies.
“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 05:42:21 AM »
When we downsized from a house to an RV, I lost my loading bench also.  I use a small Lee turret press and just screw it down to a post when I need to resize ctgs.  Everything I need to reload .223/7-08/30-30/44 mag/45 colt/38 spl now fits in a medium tote with a sturdy top. (the kind that can lock with a padlock)  It's easier than you think to stay into reloading.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 06:01:58 AM »
I've tried neck sizing the 357 maxi, but after a few reloadings it looks like will need to full size them.

As for reloading space my set up is in a closet ( thank you Swampman for the idea!).  The bench is standing height with the stool stored under the bench so door will close. The press is mounted so it's movable and held in place by a cleat on the back wall and a single C clamp.  You don't need a lot of space but you do have to be efficient and creative on how it's used.

Offline Catshooter45

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 09:09:07 AM »
Take a lookie here:

Are you sure you don't have any space?  :)

Cat

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 12:34:19 PM »
Take a lookie here:

Are you sure you don't have any space?  :)

Cat

Looks good to me. ;D

Spanky

Offline murphdog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 12:41:44 PM »
I agree with the folks above.  I've got a 223 and tried neck sizing only.  I got inconsistent lock up because head of case protruded slightly from chamber due to change in head space.  With my handi, I've got to full-length size to set the shoulder back where its supposed to be. 
Duane

Offline murphdog

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 12:44:24 PM »
I meant to add a 1+ on the Lee hand press.  Thats what I use and it works very well for FL sizing 223 brass.  And it stores away in a closet when I'm done.  Kitchen table will work, no need for a permanent bench. 

Offline Brian P.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 03:20:03 PM »
If you make a wooden box with one side open, from 1" thick wood you  can lay it on it's side and have a place to mount a press and can put it in the closet when you're done. It doesn't take much unless you're wildcatting brass.
Lead me not into temptation but point me to it instead.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2012, 03:34:15 PM »
If you make a wooden box with one side open, from 1" thick wood you  can lay it on it's side and have a place to mount a press and can put it in the closet when you're done. It doesn't take much unless you're wildcatting brass.
Great hint, I might make one just to see about clearing up some room on my work bench top.  Any suggestions on size (H" x L" x W")?
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline Brian P.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2012, 03:40:36 PM »
I seen some guys at the range do it with boxes about 1 ft wide by 1 foot deep by half foot high.  And while the bottom board is a foot front to back the top board might only come towards you 1/2 way; geez it's hard to explain. hmmm best search images online. Use this " portable reloading press bench "  if you take the press off you can probably slide it under your bed. 

Offline OldSchoolRanger

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2012, 05:37:42 PM »
Brian P. - Thanks for the tip.  I found this one, looks like a great addition to have.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2012/10/portable-bd-workmate-reloading-bench/

Guess I have some shopping around to do.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline Brian P.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2012, 06:26:47 PM »
Holy cow that's a fancy one! :D

Offline greg916

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
  • was mich nicht tötet, bildet mich stärker
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2012, 04:40:37 AM »
I load 30/30, 45-70, and 22 hornet with Lee Loaders and haven't had any problems.
OSTENDO NON OSTENDO

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2012, 09:35:24 AM »
Low pressure, reduced velo and cast bullet loads can often get away with neck sizing, but if you like upper end data loads you are going to need to FLS eventually, if not all the time. I have two of the Lee Hand Presses, liked the first one so much I nabbed the second one first chance I had at a gun show. For 223 they have enough leverage to do what you need, and 'on your lap' while watching TV, etc. no less. The small single station press will do well also and even a turret press mounted at one corner of a workbench, kinda out of the way from most of your other benchwork, will do great. If you must have it 'takedown' you can get some of those screw in the bench lag bolt/std machine nut thread studs at the home center; locate them on the bench pop on the press and washer & wingnuts, your ready to go. For that matter, mount the press to a piece of 2x6 scrap and C-clamp it about anywhere you can get some leverage.
Point is, get and have the reloading stuff; you will figure out a way to utilize it without having to have a dedicated bench!
Self-sufficiency feels so good.... ;D
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2012, 09:47:05 AM »
When I lived in DC we were short on room.  I mounted by shot shell presses on a piece of 1X8 board about four feet long.  I got some large C clamps that were padded, and clamped them to the dinning room table, or to the kitchen counter.  I used an old piece of carpet to pad under the board and the table to prevent damage to the table.  When not in use they resided in an outside storage shed.  I currently have two single stage presses mounted on a three foot piece of 1X4.  To use them I just clamp the board in my big shop vice on the work bench.  I have a multi stage press mounted on my reloading bench, but sometimes I need a single stage press.  The shop vice holds them securely.   
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2012, 12:00:22 PM »
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2012/10/portable-bd-workmate-reloading-bench/

I have a very similar setup. Instead of the extra shelf and sides, I just have a piece of quarter round going around three sides of my bench top.

Works fine for a office reloader like me. ;D
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,241362.msg1099394870.html#msg1099394870

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2012, 12:46:27 PM »
If the other solutions don't meet your needs, the Lee Loader will work fine.  Just check case length before sizing and loading. 
May be slow, but it's reliable.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline OldSchoolRanger

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2012, 12:49:55 PM »

Guess I have some shopping around to do.
If anyone is interested, in picking up the Black and Decker Workmate Bench #425, Amazon has them on sale for $89.97 - $10 = $79.97, with their automatic coupon, and it qualifies for free shipping.  The B&D Workmate Bench #225, which is just a little smaller in size, sells for $59.97 - $10 = $49.97 also with the automatic coupon, it also qualifies for free shipping. 

If you apply for the Amazon credit card, you get a $50 off gift card which you can use to buy the workmate bench.

All you have to do is build the top, which is an easy rainy day project.

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2012, 03:33:26 PM »
When I lived in DC we were short on room.  I mounted by shot shell presses on a piece of 1X8 board about four feet long.  I got some large C clamps that were padded, and clamped them to the dinning room table, or to the kitchen counter.  I used an old piece of carpet to pad under the board and the table to prevent damage to the table.  When not in use they resided in an outside storage shed.  I currently have two single stage presses mounted on a three foot piece of 1X4.  To use them I just clamp the board in my big shop vice on the work bench.  I have a multi stage press mounted on my reloading bench, but sometimes I need a single stage press.  The shop vice holds them securely.   
This is what we do in the winter... just clamp the board to the card table in the basement...  the garage is not heated and -40 degree weather keeps down our interest in reloading!
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline .Dirty-.30

• Avid Poster
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2012, 05:10:10 PM »
God bless the Handi in .22 Hornet   ;D  10 reloads per case with only 1 full length resize and anneal needed around load #6