Author Topic: ANOTHER WANDERLUST  (Read 384 times)

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
ANOTHER WANDERLUST
« on: November 17, 2012, 11:04:55 PM »
Afew years ago the Hen and i wanted to see the leaves in New England but she couldn't be away from her grandchildren long enough for the drive up and back.
I wandered up to Albany where I picked her up---we did our trip and I put her on another plane and wandered back.
I got to meet several of the boys here--it was fun.
Well, it is well know by many that I think the drive is part of the destination and I am getting a chance to do it again.
The Hen has wanted to do a cruise (UGH) to Alaska, so i am going to drive to Seattle this Summer and fly with her to Fairbanks to catch a boat back to Vancover.Then we both will wander back to Houston.
Any of you boys know anything about the Cascades? I want to spend some good drive time in them and have no Idea what route to take thru them--.
I am going to try and make time to vist a facility that one of the members here has invited me to in New Mexico--she works there and I would love to see it.
Anywho--I am coming West this summer and any help on routes and sight would be VERY helpful.
One of the guys here, JHM, who I had coffee with in Arkansashas suggested the Columbia R basin as a good drive and the Hen and I will take that in on our trip back.
Youse guys need to just take off and drive where the wind takes you, at least one tiime in your life, It does the soul good.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
Re: ANOTHER WANDERLUST
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 02:26:45 AM »
Just curious William, but since Fairbanks is landlocked how are you going to begin your Alaska cruise there ?  :o

Regards,
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline magooch

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 04:12:59 AM »
Well, Sourdough could tell him better than I, but he could set out on the Chena and work his way to the ocean.
William, about that trip through the Cascades:  First, I would highly recommend that you wait until after the 4th of July.  June can sometimes be more like what I call Junuary.  The weather usually begins to get very right a few days into July.  That just means that you are more likely to have ideal weather in July, or August as opposed to June.
All things considered, I think the drive through the north Cascades (highway 20) is as good as any route.  If you want to see the Columbia Gorge, you could wander back west from the east side.  But you would be missing a lot if you pass up the San Juan Islands before you head east.  I would take one of the ferries through the islands as a walk on passenger.  These islands are simply gorgeous.  There is so much to see in this state (Washington) it might take most of a lifetime to see it all.
Swingem

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 08:41:39 AM »
William:  I will send you a PM with my phone number.  Call me BEFORE you make your reservations.  Hopefully it's not too late. 

For everyone's information he will fly to Fairbanks, then ride the train to Denali.  From Denali on to Anchorage, then to Whittier or Seward by train.  Then board the Ship for points South.  At least he will get to see more than the Seattle Suburbs of Southeastern.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 11:23:22 AM »
Ann will fly to Seattle and i will drive there, put the Mustang in long term parking and fly up to Anchorage with here---She is on the phone with Rog's wife as we speak--getting info.
We will most likely take a train from Vancover back to Seattle and begin a trip back from there.
Sorry that i am such a poor communicator.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Poopers

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 12:02:52 PM »
When you come west through Montana, it would be wise to go through Glacier National park  :D

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 11:03:32 AM »
My trip up will stay in the Sierra's from Nevada up. it is Washington and Oregon tah I am reall unfamiliar with---up high.
Coming back is not determined until the Hen speaks.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Conan The Librarian

• McDonalds. Blecch!
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 11:17:07 AM »
I worked in Portland for a while, and really enjoyed driving the area. You can leave town and drive to the ocean and see expansive beaches, with forests along the way. You can leave town and go the other way and loop around Mount Hood, then drive along the Columbia. It's pretty at any time of year, although the road to Mount Hood may be snowed out during the winter. A good "hen" experience. Wineries, orchards, lots of touristy stuff. When the tide's out, the long walks on the beaches are magnificent, especially around sundown.  Either direction makes a nice day trip. 

From Portland, it's not a terribly long drive to Seattle. When in Seattle, try to do the following as time allows:
Go to the aquarium. It's worth it just to see the giant octopus.

Take your car on a ferry and then drive along puget sound out to the beaches at the indian reservation. Seaside towns are along the way, tidepools, etc. On the way back wander around through some Olympic rain forest.

China town for dinner and wandering around. If the tea shop is still there, stop by. Your wife will like it. There is a beautiful selection of tea services and many delicious teas.

Pike street market for the spectacle of it

Try some good seafood at one of the restaurants near the aquarium.

Try not to trip over too many bums when you're near the aquarium ;-)

You'll both like it the area.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 11:50:29 AM »
  Don't know if you have been there yet..but if you haven't. you ought to drive that 'stang down through Moab, UT..then on down to the 4-corners area where "The Duke" made lots of his western movies.  Then on down through the Navajo reservation and the Canyon De Chelly cliff dwellings south of  Chinle... then the Salt River Canyon and Apache reservation...jump over to Las Cruces then El Paso and I-10 home..
  For a North easterner, not accustomed to the desert and rock formations it was very interesting..I included that in one trip and have not forgotten it..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Conan The Librarian

• McDonalds. Blecch!
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 01:09:33 PM »
Amen! And a side trip to the north rim of the grand canyon, through Kaibab national forest. Stop and watch the sky while driving the high desert at night.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 08:40:23 PM »
Last time I drove to Seattle I drove up the west coast highway through the Red Woods.  Sure was a beautiful drive.  I started in Los Angeles.  Conan and Ironglow have good suggestions as well.  Monument Valley where John Wayne made so many movies.  The Moab area is sure underrated, and the North side of the Grand Canyon, not as built up and populated.  Less tourist on the North Side. 

One other thought, have you seen Yellowstone?  the route to Moab and the Grand Canyon will take you right by Yellowstone.  It's worth a drive through since you are in the area.   
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2012, 12:40:54 AM »
I am thinking the North rim to be a good drive---the hen speaks is another thing.
We have tried to do the four corners for a couple of trips but it never seemed to get done. I think that this time it will be completed. It will be a good resting spot
Moab would be a place I would like to see again.
Good ideas---I am reading.
Thanks to all of you.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD