Author Topic: H&R Transfer Bar Breakage?  (Read 726 times)

Offline rice paddy daddy

• Trade Count: (0)
H&R Transfer Bar Breakage?
« on: December 03, 2012, 03:36:44 PM »
On another board a poster commented that H&R shotguns are"junk", that the transfer bars were made from "powdered metal" that will "break."
He also stated that the "cocking notch" on the hammer will break also.
He claimed to be an employee of H&R in Gardner, Mass for 17 years.

Any truth to this?
I have NEF Pardners in .410 bore and 12 ga; a Topper Junior Classic in 20 ga (she's a beauty!); and Handi Rifles in 22 Hornet and 45-70 Government. All made in Gardner, Mass and all have transfer bars. Do I need to worry? I have not had a lick of trouble yet.

Thanks.
"There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result"  Winston Churchill

Member: Veterans of Foreign Wars, Vietnam Veterans of America, American Legion, AMVETS, Society of the Fifth Infantry Division

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
Re: H&R Transfer Bar Breakage?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 04:24:01 PM »

Sounds like a disgruntled PAST employee to me.

The transfer bars will break, but I've never had any of mine break. It is a machine, machines break. I wouldn't worry about it.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline brayh92

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 04:26:44 PM »
I have an old H&R 16 gauge that was my grandfathers then my dads and now it's mine it was made it the early 80's I believe and it's been shot more times than I can count and has had absolutely no problems Sometimes they do break but there cheap and easy to replace im no where near an expert but I'm sure Tim will be along shortly to help ya out ;)
Handi's: .45-70 Govt, .22-250, Pardner 16 GA, Topper 58 20 Ga shorty, Pardner 410 GA

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 05:08:51 PM »
It happens occasionally, but not often enough for me to be concerned about, it's one of the recommended spare parts to keep on hand, it's mentioned in the FAQs sticky. FWIW,  I've had over fifty H&Rs, all modern made 1987 and later, have only had one transfer bar break. I've had one get floppy on me, and I replaced it before it broke, it's pretty easy to spot one that's ready to come apart, they don't usually actually break, the two pieces separate, the connecting pin can be peened to tighten it back up if needed, Numrich carries replacements.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 11:59:11 AM »
Some parts break ocassionally on BMWs and Mercedes too, does that mean they are junk?
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974