Author Topic: front sight holes yes 2 of them  (Read 694 times)

Offline b44mag

• Trade Count: (17)
  • A Real Regular
front sight holes yes 2 of them
« on: November 20, 2012, 09:53:04 AM »
hey guys n gals im trading for a h&r 12 ga with full choke barrel the guy says the front bead is missing i ask him if the bead was broke off or just missing he said the 2 holes yes 2 holes are there but no front sight i did not know that there was 2 holes in the front sight its a smooth bore shotgun what do you all think added hole or did h&r have a 2 hole front sight for a shotgun any info helpful thanks b44mag
no rear sight or holes ?????

Offline b44mag

• A Real Regular
Re: front sight holes yes 2 of them
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 10:54:54 AM »
i did a search and not finding anything hmmmm no clue im going to trade for it so ill figure it out after i get it maybe if there are 2 holes a ramp sight will work im getting this gun to play with after seeing dave cantenburry ? blackpowder vid looks like fun way to use up a bunch of pyrodex the kids buy me every year you know its cheaper than the stuff i use n always shrug there shoulders like we did not know lol so now ill have a reason to use it up
i saw him dave say use mod barrel but this one is full
think its ok to put 70 or 80 grains pyrodex and 1oz or same amount bbs ??
i might cut it back a lil to get passed the holes  who knows but something to play with this winter

Offline b44mag

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 12:22:53 PM »
i just talked to the guy he said he bought it new and it had the bead and a extra hole from day one
any of you  ever herd or seen this on a 12 gauge smooth bore with full choke

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 01:15:46 AM »
Not for a 12 gauge.  I could see the need for 2 holes in a .410 or other smaller gauge if it had a ramp but a 12 shouldn't need a ramp.

Offline darkgael

• Trade Count: (1)
  • The readiness is all. 4049 posts from the “old” gb
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 06:12:03 AM »
think its ok to put 70 or 80 grains pyrodex and 1oz or same amount bbs ??
That Pyrodex reference.......you don't mean 70-80 grains actual weight do you? That'd be a very heavy load, equivalent to a four dram BP load. Most shotgun loads are about 2 3/4 drams or 68-70 grains of BP.
Pete

Offline b44mag

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 07:14:37 PM »
no pete
 i mean 70 80 grains using a black powder measure. the same in bbs maybe 10 grains more using the powder measure.  60grains worth bbs i think weighed about .63 ish of a  ounce.  so a close to a ounce of bbs should be around 90 grains worth.
 jp i think the sight hole thing im going to cut it so it dont matter but just thinking.  i have had a few but of these shotguns never one with a extra hole in it. oh well it dont matter.  any of you know how far back the choke goes on these shotguns.  wonder how far i can cut before i get in to cylindar bore. maybe thats the best place and use balls in it also.  going to have to read up on chokes see what works best for ball and see where 25 /30ish yards for shot pattern.  like a old fowler .62. might be lots o fun. big ol round ball. also  wondering about the ramrod if i cut it down enough to use 2 shotgun cleaning rods for breakdown in the pac ramrod kinda a
 P I A.
 but its a front stuffer how quick do you really need after all you know you only need one shot  ;) and you can alwas have a few regular shells on hand for that trophy your in field stuffed load missed  :o
heading to the blackpowder section see whats to be learned about the loads n chokes

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 01:52:08 AM »
I believe most chokes extend back about two inches so if you chop off two you should have a cylinder bore gun.

Offline b44mag

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 04:11:00 AM »
well i picked it up today just got back people crack me up. this guy tells me that he bought it new n the holes were there yea right whatever im thinking to myself. the extra hole is ugly and not from the factory for sure but im cutting it off anyway. so im looking at it its a topper 58 3 inch full AP # case colored frame. so i think no 44mag barrel for it?? right. i thought i read that H&R wont put a barrel on it ???. oh well he refinished the stock and was proud of it  ::)  but its not too bad light blonde look no but pad. the barrel has a few blued over marks i ask him did you try to reblue it he says no it was like that also when i bought it new. im laughing in my head thinking yea ok buddy. but any way its nice enough to cut n use a black powder shotgun for playing around. just think why do people try to BS you to the point they look stupid doing it. maybe he thinks im stupid for trading but i will get more enjoyment out of this gun than the 60$ bow i traded for it. the holes are about 3/4 inch in the end so maybe ill see what for choke it has there not sure what im doing yet its leaning in the corner and looks better than the bow there  ;D . anyone have a topper 12ga. full choke can tell me how far in thier front bead is and how tall im just wanting to know so i can see what hole was the factory maybe its the ugly one thats why the bead flew out  :o  i have a few here somewhere ill have to get to digging find them n get a pic of it up before i start whatever with it 

Offline b44mag

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2012, 12:25:39 PM »
looked in the  FAQS
think if i got it right ap means 1976 it has transfer bar topper 58 would be same as the 155 they posted ap 1976 i guess ???
i put a set screw with gorilla glue in the factory hole about 3/16th high flush inside the barrel its the second hole back from end of barrel about 5/8th back guess ill call it a ported barrel  ;D ::) :-[  painted it red it will work for now till it blows out or i cut it  :D  looking for suvivor or huntsman stock set in the wtt and for sale sections going to get a few shells from a buddy to fireform the high brass cut the plastic off reprime and  load her with some black powder n bbs. still a lil worried about the full choke thing have to read up a lil more before i buldge the end or worse  :o :-[

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 11:48:24 AM »

You might consider finding a good gunsmith that cut it off back to a section of good barrel then thread the inside of the barrel for screw in chokes. Prices range on the threading job but it will make the whole gun better than new.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff