Author Topic: Destructive force of a 10 gauge blank  (Read 1547 times)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Destructive force of a 10 gauge blank
« on: November 08, 2012, 04:52:14 AM »
This vid from "America's Funniest Home Videos" documents the power of a 10 gauge blank shell (at least I hope it was a blank). A guy is firing what appears to be a Winchester signal/salute gun out on his deck, and as he pulls up on the lanyard at an angle, the muzzle tilts down and the gun discharges into the deck. The signal cannon segment starts at around 2:00.

For those with dial-up, the video is a little jumpy, and you've got to sit through two ads, so you might not want to spend the time.

http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/watch/America-s-Funniest-Home-Videos/5964371168017395112/2300564796/Not-So-Super-Heroes-and-Name-That-Sound/videos?skipTo=122&cmpid=FCST_hero_tv
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Artilleryman

Re: Destructive force of a 10 gauge blank
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 06:50:49 AM »
Thanks for sharing this.  There are probably people out there that don't think blanks can do any harm.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 07:02:34 AM »
Gee I wonder if that was why when re-enacting they had distance requirments and we didn't aim at the oposing force but slightly upward....... anyone who has used a blank fired nail gun knows the power a blank has......
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 09:20:09 AM »
I cringed when I saw the title of this thread...I was relieved to see it wasn't flesh that was destroyed!
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 10:15:54 AM »
LM#AO ;D  By the way does dial up still exist.

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 10:37:13 AM »
Recall Jon-Erik Hexum, star of the TV series "Coverup" killed himself by ill considered horseplay on set with a blank loaded pistol.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon-Erik_Hexum

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 08:21:46 PM »
Jon-Erik Hexum, star ...

star, perhaps, but certainly not the brightest one on the set.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline jlwilliams

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 12:46:37 AM »
The video has been taken down.  Oh well.  Sounds like I missed a good one.

I remember Hexum's death.  It crosses my mind when ever I use blanks.

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 03:20:30 AM »
Unfortunately, not the only one:
Johnny Ace
Johnny Ace, the famous 50s R&B singer, is reported to have killed himself in the same maner in 1955.
Brandon Lee
Brandon Bruce Lee, American actor, martial artist and son of Bruce Lee, died on March 31, 1993 after he was accidentally shot and killed in North Carolina while filming the movie - "The Crow".  During a scene which required actor Michael Massee to fire a pistol at Lee, the blanks from a pistol propelled an earlier stuck bullet in the barrel that hit Lee in the abdomen, lodging in his spine - causing his death.
There was a similar, non-fatal case where a Civil War Reenactor (a visitor from France) fired a Colt replica with a blank load which dislodged a stuck ball, which struck someone.  The French citizen was charged & found guilty of a minor charge. The weapon inspection was clearly deficient.
On October 2, 2010, David Birrell was appearing in Stephen Sondheim’s Passion at the Donmar Warehouse in London.  During a performance, one of the blank-firing guns used apparently had a problem, and Birell sustained an injury to his right eye. He may lose his sight in it. According to a spokeswoman for the theater, “It appears that during the duel scene in ‘Passion,’ David Birrell’s licensed replica stage gun misfired causing some debris to enter his eye.” Further sources claim it was actually an antique flintlock gun.
On April 15, 2010, Darrell D’Silva, an actor with the Royal Shakespeare Company was rehearsing a scene with a prop gun. He accidentally shot himself in the hand. It was during tech rehearsals for Antony and Cleopatra. He underwent surgery and returned to rehearsals with his arm in a sling. Apparently when it was handed to him, he thought it was unloaded. It took a big chunk off of his finger and blood spurted everywhere. Here is an incident where the accident came not from bad or malfunctioning equipment, but from bad communication. The actor was not told the gun was loaded, but more importantly, he disobeyed the cardinal rule of stage guns: treat every gun like it is a loaded weapon.
November 15, 2008. Tucker Thayler, a 15 year old student at Desert Hills High School kills himself with a gun intended to be used as a sound effect for their production of Oklahoma. Apparently it was a real pistol with blanks. Apparently it was allowed as long as a parent was there to fire the gun. And I’m not sure how some schools still allow actual working firearms to be brought on campus. In most municipalities, you need a pyrotechnics license to fire blank ammunition for theatrical purposes; it is different than a standard gun license. After all, there are any number of firecracker and fireworks that average folk can use in their backyards legally in certain parts of the country, but once you want to fire them off inside a crowded theatre, the rules become much more stringent; the same is true of blank-firing guns.
(source:  http://www.props.eric-hart.com/safety/blank-firing-guns/ )
Guns are dangerous, even with blanks, and our cannons large & small are specifically included.

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 06:19:14 AM »
I watched the vid when it was still posted.  The deck 2x4's were clearly rotten, a solid one would have been scorched and possibly slightly dented by any wadding, but no more.  Still there's a lot of force there which can cause serious injury or death.  Beware.

Offline one thumb short

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 09:24:45 AM »
Hi Blanks can be very dangerous no matter whar size or caliber.I had a friend who did cowboy reenacting.One of theguys in his group just bouht a brand new slicker,it went to the ground when worn.In there act he with his back turned away from a cowboy who was arresting him in the scene,he pulled his gun and tried to shoot between his legs at the guy behind him.Blew a hole in his new coat and caught it on fire,nobody else got hurt.I was amazed ,he was a new member and decided to try something new.They were very aware of being safe as they shot aluminum cavs to show how bad a blank being shot was and dangerous.The can was 10 feet away it blew away 20 feet and then they would go get the cans and show them to the crowd.The cans were blown apart from the force of the blank.So they were aware of the safety and keep the crowds back when they were doing their acts.BE SAFE                 ONE THUMB SHORT

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 10:39:45 AM »
Sorry that the link is down: A guy fires a Winchester 10 gauge salute cannon out on his deck, and instead of pulling back on the lanyard, he pulls up, causing the muzzle to point down and blow a hole in the deck.
I think that the deck may be made out of cedar; I can believe in a 10 gauge blank removing a chunk from a cedar board at point blank range.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2012, 11:05:13 AM »
I guess I am a pretty old guy; I grew up when cowboy westerns were Saturday morning TV fare and everyone in those days knew they were shooting blanks and that they could cause damage or death at close range.  Blanks are not something to goof around with.

Interesting to note how the change to ninja turtles and other cartoons on Saturday mornings has resulted in lessening of the knowledge of the real world and how it works.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2012, 06:36:57 PM »
I think that the deck may be made out of cedar;

Thanks for the input; we'll never know unless the video appears again.  However when I looked at it, I got the impresion the deck was made of 2x4's (pine) which had been painted.  The paint was why they rotted; if you paint deck boards they can't dry out properly after a rain, thus they rot quickly.  But like they say in the movies "that's not important right now"

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2012, 03:07:11 AM »
If they were walking around on it, it couldn't have been too rotten.  To me it was an impressive display of the power of a blank.  It has gotten me to thinking about some experiments this coming summer to see just how powerful blanks are.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2012, 06:09:03 AM »
Flagman and I must be on a similar wavelength, because I also thought of the actor that accidently killed himself goofing around on set. It's hard to comprehend how a person could be well educated, or very intelligent in their own right, and then display a near complete ignorance of an entire subject (like ordnance), but many of us know that this does sometimes happen.

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2012, 01:41:39 PM »
I think I'll have to pop a 10 GA blank on the edge of a 2x4 stud, because I have a real problem believing one will blow a big hole in such a piece of wood that's in good condition.  Or perhaps somone with more regular access to rangeland will do it.  Dangerous the blanks are, yes, but not destructive to that exent.  I expect powder burn and some small denting from the wad.

Anyone else old enuf to remember the Johnny Carson show where JC blew Mr. Bill away with a 10-gauge blank?

Offline steelcharge

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2012, 02:22:21 AM »
I expect powder burn and some small denting from the wad.

I don't know what kind of wad is used in the 10GA blanks but I've had a 12GA fiberwad get stuck in a 2x4 almost a half-inch deep. This happened once when I tried a few really old shells I had laying around. The range was maybe 15 yards.
I had a poor-quality camera-phone photo of that once but unfortunately can't find it anymore.