Author Topic: Long eye relief scopes  (Read 587 times)

Offline workinman

• Trade Count: (0)
Long eye relief scopes
« on: December 07, 2012, 03:15:02 PM »
Hi All,

I am a newbie so please bear with me.
I have two Savage 99C, 308, both with scopes. I hunt deer from a seat hung on a tree at ground level. Now I don't know about everyone else, but with 3-4 layers of clothes on I find it very difficult to get a full view thru my scope (Bushnell Banner 3x9) while in a strictly sitting position. Not impossible but it takes a whole lot more effort than I think it should. And as you well know we don't always have time to worry about posture adjustments when ole whitetail is passing thru. I don't seem to notice the issue when shooting from a standing position, it is probably there just less noticeable. I have the scope moved back as far as it will come in the rings. Seems to me there ought to be something better out there.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Workinman

Offline FPH

Re: Long eye relief scopes
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 03:17:44 PM »
How does the stock feel to you?  Can it be cut down?

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 04:34:29 PM »
How far are you going to shoot and how much are you willing to spend? A dot type sight wuld work no matter what position you're in.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline spruce

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 02:50:45 AM »
Extension rings would be one option, allowing you to mount the scope further to the rear.  They are made by Weaver (and I believe one or two others).  The downside is they usually (always?) come in medium or high heights which may or may not be a problem for you.

I don't know what the eye relief is on your current scope, but there are many options with scopes that have 4" to 5" of eye relief.  Many of these are marketed as "shotgun" scopes and have the parallax set at 75 yards which isn't really a problem unless you're regularly shooting at extended ranges.

Another thing to check is the distance between the adjusting knobs to the rear (ocular) lens of the scope.  This will vary quite a bit depending on the design of the scope and you may find a brand/model that will allow you to move the scope rearward enough to allow you a full field of view even while sitting and/or wearing heavy clothes.

Hope this gives you some ideas on where to start.

Offline scootrd

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 03:15:43 AM »

Burris Timberline 4.5-14x32 Riflescope w/ Ballistic Plex Reticle 
very compact (It's the old Burris Short Mag)
Glass is great.
eye relief of up to 5 inches
The AO work perfect
great fit for short actions (mine is on a mod seven 7mm-08 , weaver steel bases and lever-lok rings).

Lot of bang for the buck. best scope I found in it's price range.

You can read some reviews here.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/burris-timberline-4-5-14x32mm-ballistic-plex-riflescope-201344.html

"if your old flathead doesn't leak you are out of oil"
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it." - Clint Eastwood
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjaman Franklin
"It's better to be hated for who you are , then loved for who your not." - Van Zant

Offline workinman

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 03:02:26 PM »
Thanks to all you guys.
I would have to think long and hard about cutting the stock. These rifles are kind of the family heirlooms if you know what I mean. I really hadn't considered one of the "dot" scopes but that could be a solution I will do some research on. The extension ring height wouldn't be an issue since both rifles already are set up with see thru mounts. Next time I go to my favorite store I will check on the Burris.
I am 53 years old and over the past 25+ years I have to confess that my gun knowledge and product awareness has slipped considerably. The kids are getting older now and hopefully I can find my way back to my favorite past times.
Thanks again guys and keep the thoughts coming.
I think this board is going to be a lot of fun!

Workinman