Author Topic: Where have all the Texans gone?  (Read 5301 times)

Offline ShooterSATX

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Where have all the Texans gone?
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2011, 08:12:48 AM »
I was at my Ranch a few weeks ago and there seems to be plenty of wildlife around. I feed year-round and have a lot of animals on the game cameras. I am headed out again this weekend to add another feeder and check up on things.

We have several workign wells in place and lots of water troughs around and I think that is another plus for us. I just can't keep enough corn around for the critters. I dumped 100 pounds of corn in my hog trap (locked open) and it was gone within 48 hours...hogs, coons, birds, rabbits and DEER!

Also MarkC, not sure if it affected your property or not, but my taxes went up substancially this year thanks to Edwards County. Our POA has contracts in place and we are all Ag-exempt. My taxes went from $20.81 to $165.05...not sure what gives but at that rate, Ag-exempt won't matter for long.

Cheers!

Shooter

Offline markc

« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2011, 02:21:30 PM »
Shooter, I am still waiting to hear if Ed county approved my wildlife valuation/management plan.  Hope the taxes don't shoot up, but if they do, we will hang in there.   I did receive a letter in the mail from some out of state company that had checked the tax rolls. THey were offering to buy my place.   Hmmm, for 10K per acre I might consider it.

The hogs were running all over at night on my place.  Never could get a shot at them. 
markc

Offline markc

« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2011, 11:11:49 AM »
Shooter,  just received my tax statement for next year in Edwards county.  $.96.97 for 160 acres.   I guess the wildlife valuation kicked in, wildlife management plan approved. 
markc

Offline ShooterSATX

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2011, 06:26:28 AM »
Good for you MarkC. I am glad to see that the system DOES work for some.

Best of luck this season!

Shooter

Offline markc

« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2011, 06:50:29 AM »
Thanks, and good hunting to you this season.  Heading out Monday morning for a short hunt.
markc

Offline HL

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2011, 01:13:04 AM »
I did get a nice 7pt opening day, up in San Saba County. A lot of deer and more hogs than last year. I had to bring my main feeder home for repair after the cattle tore down the fence around it and destroyed the legs and feeder assembly getting to the corn.

At least with the 6.5 inches of rain we got 3 weeks ago, there is a lot of winter grass coming up in our creek bottoms, to where the cattle are pretty much ingoring the corn for now.

And as an update, 3 of the stock tanks we had cleaned out, are full and were running around. The other two, a one acre and a 1-1/2 acre stock tank are now half full. Hopefully we can get another 3-4inch hard rain to fill those. they at least have some good watershed area.

I continue to hope and pray that the rest of the people in Texas get more rain. We are still in pretty bad shape with several towns still about to run out of potable water.

Offline markc

« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2011, 03:24:16 AM »
HL, good to read that your place is getting rain. We got a bit the past few days in Edwards Co.   Looks like Fri night or Saturday is the next front that could bring more rain.  I've had 2 feeders destroyed this year, but both were due to hogs.   Neighbor and his friends killed 17 recently.  I saw 1, shot 1. 
markc

Offline DeckH

« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2011, 03:38:36 AM »
 :-\ markc,  2 of my sons and 2 grandsons and I plan on going up to 41 ranch this weekend.  7 day forecast calls for rain.  I am somewhat worried (old age) about getting stuck somewhere on 12 miles of dirt road, especially on the ranch road which is in bad shape.  No 4 wheel drive trucks.  Don't know if it is worth it.   2 weeks ago my grandson and I did see 6 deer.  My son and other grandson saw 4.  Slim pickings.  Good luck hunting.

Offline HL

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2011, 08:28:07 AM »
Good luck this weekend to everyone. I'll be heading out at 3:30am Thursday morning to see what I can get. Then I will get into Brownwood after dark to watch A&M put a final whipping on the longhorns.  ;D  Hopefully!

Offline markc

« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2011, 02:51:00 AM »
HL, well, sorry to the Aggies.  That UT place kicker will be the hero for the next 18 years now for that 40 yarder.

DeckH,  sounds like a good reason to purchase an ATV or side by side.  Maybe Santa will bring you one.  Our place is so rocky, that only the county road has some spots where a 2WD truck might get stuck, or slide off the road. 

Shooter, forgot to say that prior to getting my wildlife management application in, we had received a tax statement that was really high.  I looked it over good and saw that they had valued the property way too high, probably on purpose.  I called them on it and they apologized and mailed a new one that was where it should have been.  The Edwards county appraisal district is either trying to pull a fast one on land owners or there is some incompetence there. 
markc

Offline HL

• Contributor
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2012, 02:30:59 AM »
That one hurt, but I'm looking forward to the SEC games now. Gonna be hard, but I think it will be worth it in the end.

Shooter,

I saw in your profile that you are here in San Antonio. Any chance you live a little north of town in Bulverde?

Offline ShooterSATX

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2012, 03:39:45 PM »
HL,

Sorry for the late reply...been out of umm...contact with the real world for a while. I actually live on the NW side of San Antonio...near Sea World.

Shooter

Offline Chupathingy

• Tactical Paratard
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2012, 07:49:53 PM »
 Hello Citizens!

Another Texan here. Live about 20 minutes south of Ft. Worth in a little town called Joshua.

Chupa
I've never heard anyone ever say "My AR made me do it!"

Offline FWiedner

« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2012, 01:12:20 AM »
The thing is "Who has time to hunt this time of year?"

No time to get into the field, but I am building a new rifle to scratch the itch.

Gotta do somethin'...

;D
They may talk of a "New Order" in the  world, but what they have in mind is only a revival of the oldest and worst tyranny.   No liberty, no religion, no hope.   It is an unholy alliance of power and pelf to dominate and to enslave the human race.

Offline markc

« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2012, 07:13:20 AM »
Hello Chupa, sorry for the very late hello. I've been a bit busy lately. 
markc

Offline Jinx

« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2012, 05:17:17 AM »
Been awhile since someone posted but I figgured I would give a shout out from Waco- the arm-pit of Texas.

Offline markc

« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2012, 01:40:10 PM »
Hello Jinx

markc

Offline DennisB

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Contributor
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2012, 03:20:46 PM »
Welcome, Jinx-  Waco ain't that bad.  I've got kin down there around Lorena and China Spring.  Have you been to Austin? :)
Dennis In Ft Worth

Offline FPH

« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2012, 03:36:52 PM »
Waco still dry?

Offline HL

• Contributor
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2012, 07:43:21 AM »
All is good in Bulverde and so far this year, I've had pretty good luck hunting. so far, I have taken two cull 6pnts. one of which was 5-1/2 yrs. And a few hogs. this weekend I will probably fill my tags with turkey. We have them like locust in San Saba County.

Side note: I finally put out hog traps and boy do those guys get mad when you walk up to the trap. It's kind of scary to see them back off to the opposite side of the trap and then run, full steam and jump at you hitting the panels.