Author Topic: American 30-06  (Read 735 times)

Offline Herman Lesley

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
American 30-06
« on: November 25, 2012, 03:57:38 AM »
I am having extraction problems with my American. I am handloading midrange loads from Hodgdon online data. In 3 shot groups I will have 1 and sometimes 2 cases that give hard extraction. This happens with new and full length sized cases. I am using RP cases.

There is no ejector mark on the case head to indicate high pressure loads. There is a mark on the side of the case at the pressure ring that is about 0.1" wide and goes a little over half way around the case. It seems like the chamber might be a little out of round causing a high spot on one side of the case. That high spot then catches the normal side of the chamber during bolt lift. I have had heavy bolt lift on loads with ejector marks, but then the bolt would fall open. I have to bounce the rifle butt on the bench to get it back after lifting the bolt.

I know each rifle is different in the way it handles different loads, but I have used these and heavier loads in other rifles with no problem. I had a gunsmith look at the chamber with a borescope and he said it looked smooth and normal. I had asked him about polishing the bore, but he said he didn't think that would solve the problem.

I contacted Ruger and their answer was to try factory loads. There was no problem with RP 150 gr factory loads. I have some Hornady Superformance loads I am going to try. My handloads chronograph about the same speed as RP 150 factory loads.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

Herman

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: American 30-06
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 12:45:43 PM »
If factory work and your handloads don't, you have answered you own question.  Something wrong with your cases or pressure.