Author Topic: Handi-Grip stock ???  (Read 1254 times)

Offline hogrider04

• Trade Count: (0)
Handi-Grip stock ???
« on: November 17, 2012, 05:51:54 PM »
I'm new to this forum and new to Handi's so please bear with me. I bought a Monte Carlo stocked, 24" barrel .223 and am thinking about putting a synthetic Handi Grip like Midway sells on it. Any of you folks use this stock and does it drop the cheek weld down to the point the scope will need to be lowered. I've done some research and some say yes, and some say no. I really like the way the  Monte Carlo cheek riser feels, but want a pistol grip stock. What do you think?

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Handi-Grip stock ???
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 06:06:10 PM »
haven't had one of those yet.
had most every kind of "pallet wood"
and syn stock on an h&r except that

if the survivor stock is similar, i can
say that it didn't affect me as far as
cheek or scope placement.

you may want to check out the
choate varmint stock. that's my next one.
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline hogrider04

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 06:28:22 PM »
Thanks Ranger. I think the lack of a butt pad might nix the survivor, but the varmint one looks interesting. Still leaning towards the Handi-grip though.

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 06:45:05 PM »
the one i had was on a 30/30
so i don't think it would bother you
on a .223 as far as recoil , but then again,
personal tastes and such.

i looked at a picture of the h-grip
stock and i don't think it would be for
me, but then again i've not handled
one so who knows?

next one is the ch. var. for me.
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 06:48:20 PM »
at one time, i think choate made a
true pistol grip type stock for a h&r
like i have on my contender
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 01:04:27 AM »
Good morning and WELCOME!!

The handi grip is a nice stock that really shines as a ambi and useable thumbhole stock.

MY issue with it is just what your asking, for my ''build'' the stock is NOT well suited for scope mounting. Its very good for open sites.  Its drop is on par with the STD H&R stock.  I sold mine off for just this reason.

If your looking to save weight, look at the synthetic or camo synthetic stocks. They are light, offer a monti carlo design that allows for good cheek weld for many folks.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline hogrider04

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 03:13:19 AM »
Thanks CW. I was really hoping to find a thumbhole with the monte carlo rise to it. I like the fit of the factory wood except for the angle of my wrist when I shoot. I had already gathered that the Handi-grip was to low but just wanted to confirm it. Guess I'll keep on looking.

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 04:13:44 AM »
Thanks CW. I was really hoping to find a thumbhole with the monte carlo rise to it. I like the fit of the factory wood except for the angle of my wrist when I shoot. I had already gathered that the Handi-grip was to low but just wanted to confirm it. Guess I'll keep on looking.

I have the same issue, the wrist angle doesn't work for me on the MC stocks.  I don't care for plastic stocks so the solution for me has been the laminated thumbhole stocks or using the Beartooth comb rising kit on a pallet low comb stock. 

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,268234.0.html

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 04:15:23 AM »
i had the same questions
i think i will  pass  on them  based on CWLS  post

i reallly  like  the one  boyd laminated stock i have

stock  fit is very important to me
i don't have a 30-30  because of the added cost  of changing the stock
a rifle without a scope  is just a toy to play with at the range...not a serious gun
i grew up with scopes on my bb guns
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 05:17:39 AM »
I have one on a 45-70 with a bobbed hammer and low scope.  Scope height is not a problem for me.  Balances nice and absorbs the recoil better that a factory pad.  I like it.  I'm a lefty with a short neck. 
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline hogrider04

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 06:12:11 AM »
I may just have to try one and see how it fits me. Lord knows I've thrown away more money than that on other foolishness (got several Ruger 10/22 money pits  :) ). As it sets, the front 50mm bell of my scope is 1/2" above the barrel. If I could lower it enough to work with the Handi-grip without having to bob the hammer I would be happy.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 08:15:38 AM »

I have the same issue, the wrist angle doesn't work for me on the MC stocks.  I don't care for plastic stocks so the solution for me has been the laminated thumbhole stocks or using the Beartooth comb rising kit on a pallet low comb stock. 

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,268234.0.html

This is a Gunstocks stock. They have  rotating add here on the site.

These are rather heavy with allot of "meat" on them. I always thought, if someone had the time and inclination there is a really nice trim stock burried inside one of these!!  ;)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 08:21:04 AM »
the handi-grip set would prolly be more popular ifin they hada camo set version.
i think i cud live witha few them thata way................. ;D
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2012, 02:29:31 PM »
I have one but haven't given it a chance yet. I had it on a 30-30 and don't think I ever shot it. Now I believe I have it on a 223 24" heavy barrel. I haven't had them out of the safe for a while. I know I shouldered it several times when on the 30-30 and with a Bushnell Trophy it seemed to fit right. I haven't put the new scope on the 223 HB yet but the one that came on it seems to line up OK. I think it is pretty front heavy with the 24" H.B. so it won't balance well but I don't know if that will matter depending whether you plan on bench shooting or carrying it a lot. My "onion" would be to get a laminate thumbhole for a long heavy barrel if you want that kind of stock. It should balance better.
gendoc, they must fit you OK, sounds like you just like the pretty ones better ;)
me 2 :-*  I have a spare camo syn that will go on it if the Handi grip don't work out. I thought the HG might work for bench or sitting, sniping as that's only what I will use the 223 HB for.

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 04:56:37 PM »
been gone for a few days and happened to
look in an old catalog i had at the farm
and i had forgot ati makes a "tactical" stock
and forearm set for the h&r's that is like
a pistol grip car-15 stock that everyone
uses on their ar-15's now. i know that i've
seen recoil pads available for those ar-15
stocks so that may be something to check out.
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2012, 04:04:25 PM »
been gone for a few days and happened to
look in an old catalog i had at the farm
and i had forgot ati makes a "tactical" stock
and forearm set for the h&r's that is like
a pistol grip car-15 stock that everyone
uses on their ar-15's now. i know that i've
seen recoil pads available for those ar-15
stocks so that may be something to check out.

No offense to any ATI fans out there, but I bought an ATI Dragunov style stock and ended up throwing it in the trash... couldn't even bring myself to sell that POS to another shooter... I then bought the Choate Dragunov and the diffrence in quality was like night and day! I would recommend Choate products anytime... the Varmint stocks for H&R rifles are excellent and comfortable to shoot.
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.