Author Topic: Question about Powder Chamber  (Read 480 times)

Offline WindElevation

• Trade Count: (0)
Question about Powder Chamber
« on: November 27, 2012, 09:17:54 PM »
Hi all, My build is a golf ball mortar. 1.72" x 3" deep bore, 1/2 x 1" powder chamber, 5 and 1/2" OAL x 2 and 5/8 OD, 1018 steel. My question is using 2f powder, what distance could I expect to achieve @ 45 deg? No need for ball to go where no man has ever been before, but I would like a distance of 100 to 150 yds. Anyone experienced with this size powder chamber? Thanks..... Gary
He that will not when he may- when he will, he shall have nay.

Offline armorer77

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Question about Powder Chamber
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 10:55:35 PM »
With a 5/8 x1 you can expect about 100 yds .

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Question about Powder Chamber
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 03:52:14 AM »
Build your own load chart. 

I think you are saying you powder chamber is 1/2" diameter by 1" deep.  Fill you powder chamber to the top of the chamber with powder.  Pour that powder on a scale and weigh it.  Look up up a load chart for a 50 caliber muzzle loader and compare the charge weight.  Your chamber load should be much less.

Start your load test with 20 grains.  Fire the shot and measure the distance to the point of impact and record it in a notebook.  Increase the load 5 grains.  Fire and measure.  Repeat until you get to your powder maximum and  all the ranges down in your notebook.  Now you are ready for what ever range you want to shoot. 

If you can find it use  Fg not FFg.  Pressure will be less with the same relative velocities.