Author Topic: reducing bullet diameter  (Read 731 times)

Offline Tom H.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
reducing bullet diameter
« on: February 03, 2004, 03:01:52 PM »
I'm guessing that this is the right place for this question.

Is there a die out there that can reduce jacketed bullet diameter?

I'd like to take .323 slugs and change them to .318, preferably in a press like a rock chucker.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
reducing bullet diameter
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2004, 03:58:57 PM »
Yes. This is a common and simple procedure. C/H 4-D Tool and Die Company makes and sells such a die&punch set for your reloading press. You can contct them thru their web site. I believe the cost is $50 + shipping.  There are other makers, but none that I know of  less expensive.  Most of the time a jacketed bullet can be reduced .006" in only one operation and still maintain it's integrity.  8)

Offline Tom H.

• Avid Poster
reducing bullet diameter
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2004, 03:14:21 PM »
Thanks Talon.
I heard a number of things about swaging jacketed bullets and a loss of concentricity(jacket to core) and integrity.

The price of the die is right compared to the cost of the correct slugs.

Tom

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
reducing bullet diameter
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2004, 07:15:08 AM »
Tom, if you go ahead with this effort, you will need PROPER lubricant. I strongly suggest, for swaging less than 1000 bullets a year, using one of those one ounce tubes of anhydrous lanolin you can buy for $2 at most drug stores. If you apply a very small dab to your thumb and forefinger, you can roll the bullet between them to apply just a VERY thin film of lub immediately before waging. Regular "case" or "reloading" lub may not work well for this job. 1 oz of Lanolin should last at least thru 1000 bullets. The key word is THIN. And, it washes off in plain warm water.
  The core does seperate from the jacket (unless it's a bonded core bullet you are swaging) during reduction depending on many factors.  Usually, this seperation is absolutely inconsequential if the reduction is below .005". If the jacket is of some really hard brass, or steel, you may have problems at even .004". I've reduced many off-the-shelf bullets of several calibers, and as long as I've kept under .006" in one pass, I've never had a problem. Too, while I've reduced Jackets (by themselves) in several stages, up to .037", I've never attempted to reduce a bullet further than one pass thru a die.  8)

Offline Tom H.

• Avid Poster
reducing bullet diameter
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2004, 01:53:30 AM »
Thanks Talon.

I size plenty of cast bullets, but hadn't even thought about lubing the jacketed ones.  Didn't realize that bonded cores would stay bonded either.
The rifle has a .318 bore and what would be possible is to take slugs for the .321  for a reduction of .004.  
Whatever I do, at least there is a good selection of 32-8mm out there to work with.

Tom