Author Topic: Vive la France; and long live America!  (Read 981 times)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Vive la France; and long live America!
« on: November 14, 2012, 10:31:44 PM »
I've never seen another cannon loaded exactly like this one, but instead of me attempting a description, it would probably be more instructive to just watch the video.

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Vive la France
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 04:16:24 AM »
I find it odd that he just doesn't load the whole thing from the rear...... I am not thrilled with the cork being jammed down the bore either....... it looks like his projo keyholed when it hit the target.... most likely a smooth bore firing a long pointed projo..... so no spin to stabelize it....
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline boomerralph

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 04:29:21 AM »
I particularly like the knee in front of the muzzle while loading, also his "other Parts".  While a premature is rare, it can happen.  I for one, keep any "parts" that I am particularly interested in keeping of out from in front of the muzzle.
Ralph M. Reese
St. Augustine, FL

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 05:09:54 AM »
What I found interesting was his target, a retired fire extinguisher.  It had bottom cut off and big holes put in it.  I'm making a wild guess that in France or whatever Froggie-speaking area he's from has laws that require such mutiliation of retired gas cylinders so they can't be used as IED's.  Anyone know about that?  If so you'll never see a bowling ball mortar from that place.

Just one more reason I'm happy I live in the good-ole' USA, where we still have quite a bit of freedom in the blackpowder and firearms area.

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 11:33:00 AM »
I also wondered why he didn't use a round ball and just load projectile and cartridge from the breech.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 01:29:46 PM »
If you watch the video very carefully it looks like he loads only the outer cartridge sleeve spacer  in the breach before the projectile and wad . The loaded cartridge is on the ground when he cocks the firing pin , then it skips to firing . It was very safe loading with no powder in the cannon yet.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
Re: Vive la France; and long live America!
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 09:34:32 PM »
Now for an American made version of what could/should be a safe signal/salute cannon. Pay close attention to the loading procedures.

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 11:11:16 PM »
At least he didn't use Bullseye.  Seems like his firing point was of questionable legality, so let's show the world that I did it.

??   :o
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 05:25:38 AM »
Ignoring for the moment that he used smokeless powder, I am wondering why he didn't just load the powder into the shotgun shell.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 11:11:34 AM »
"This is 4140 equivilant to the strength of railroad steel"  :o
YES SIR! the next cannon I'z iz buildin iz gona bee "Railroad steel"!  8)
Can we send this guy to France with his cannon?
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Frank46

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 04:56:42 PM »
Bet that cannon cost him a pretty chunk of change. But when he loaded that good old H4350 thats where he lost me. I think he would be best if he had some way to index the shell holder whatchamacallet even though it was a signal cannon. not that I'm condoning the use of smokeless powder. Frank

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 07:16:36 PM »
Not reason in the world he couldn't use smokeless powder in that gun...what doesn click with me was loading a shotgun shell behind it.

Clever breeching,

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2012, 02:23:33 AM »
For me it's not so much that he used smokeless powder, but the way he "measured" his charge.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2012, 03:07:13 AM »
For me it's not so much that he used smokeless powder, but the way he "measured" his charge.

Ain't that the truth...