Author Topic: Does/did H&R ever chamber a rifle in .35 Rem?  (Read 683 times)

Offline idek

• Trade Count: (0)
Does/did H&R ever chamber a rifle in .35 Rem?
« on: December 02, 2012, 06:15:33 PM »
I've thought I'd like a big bore rifle with modest recoil but better ballistics than a 44 mag., and the .35 Rem cartridge seems to fit the bill. Has H&R ever made rifles/barrels for this cartridge?

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Does/did H&R ever chamber a rifle in .35 Rem?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 08:39:07 PM »
Yes they did.  Back in the mid 90s I wrote them a letter suggesting they take a .35 Remington barrel and rechamber it to .35 Whelen.  They sent me a replay that it would be too costly for Research and Development, then 6 months later they came out with the Rocky Mtn Elk Federation Commerative.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 11:27:09 PM »
Yup, as Roger just told ya, they sure did!

Most of them stay in the south where "primitive" seasons allow the H&R in bigger than 35 cal to be used. So as a recult its very popular in Mississippi and other states.

Some of us have been lucky enough to attain one. I re chambered mine to 356Winchester.  ::) ;)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline bucmeister

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 04:43:00 AM »
Like CW I was lucky enough to find one, his was a barrel, mine was a complete gun.  I am going to do what he did and chamber it for the 356 Win at some point in the future.   As he said, here in MS and now LA the law for primitive weapons allows metallic cartridges that meet the .35 caliber minimum.

What I don't understand is why H&R does not run the Rem at least every other year as there is a lot of call for it since not everyone wants what the 35 Whelen gives on the recoil end.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 06:04:40 AM »
As has been said, the 35 Rem has been available in the SE Region for quite a while, very likely still is some places, here's a listing at a pawn shop in LA for one of the versions H&R has made, the SB2-3C5 which is a synthetic camo, it's also been made in a 35Rem/444Marlin combo.

Tim

http://www.finspawn.com/rifles.htm

http://www.ellettbrothers.com/ItemDetail.asp?iID=0131103

http://www.slickguns.com/product/hr-handi-rifle-combo-35-rem444-marlin-290-free-shipping

http://www.louisianasportsman.com/lpca/index.php?section=classifieds&event=view&action=single_ad&id=273469

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline flinthead

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 11:21:23 AM »
I have one of the camo stocked 35 Rem's... I love mine! 1.5 " 100 yard three shot groups with 200 Core-Lokts,,, and it came with a sweet trigger from the factory.
" A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog"