Author Topic: 6 Cavity Moulds?  (Read 855 times)

Offline beng

• Trade Count: (0)
6 Cavity Moulds?
« on: November 18, 2012, 06:53:37 AM »
I have tryed "castbboolits" but looks like the web is down, so I thought maybe some of our guys would know.   I was going to order a 6 cavity 9mm mould, was told they do not work as good as a double mould.     Any info on this?
beng

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Re: 6 Cavity Moulds?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 12:31:30 PM »
For a new caster, any 6 cavity will be a bit more difficult to learn with than any 2 cavity mold..

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 01:41:47 PM »
You can't get the 'hang' of a 6-cavity mould if you don't own one.  The "trick" is in heating the lead, mould AND spru plate very well (about 700 to 750 degrees) BEFORE you commence pouring boolets for shooting.  All wrinkled boolets are an indication that the mould is too "cold" and should be returned to the pot for repouring or shot as plinker loads if not too wrinkled.  Difficult spru cuts indicate the spru plate is too "cold".  Keep heating the mould and spru plate under these conditions. 

6-cavity moulds really produce a large volume of boolets when condition of heat are right.  Of course, the heated lead has to be 'right' too, but that is another topic...

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 01:48:35 PM »
the 2 cavity  comes with the handle  and are CHEAP
a good way to go   if you not sure this is the bullit for your needs

the 6 cavity is a MUCH better quality mould
based  on the ONE  i just got  from ranch dog
i like the 6 cavity  much  more and the production  is  good

L_O.....have you loaded any of those yet??
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 02:16:06 AM »
The Lee 6 cav. are the way to go if they make the design you want. Make sure you get handles since they don't come with any. Pre-heat it properly, keep it lubed so it doesn't eat itself, pour each cavity individually instead of trying to pour all of them at once, and you will be making gobs of bullets in short order. I really like my 6 cav. Lee moulds! It's nothing to sit down and throw 1000 bullets in one session. No way I can do that with a 2 cav. design.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 08:10:07 AM »
L_O.....have you loaded any of those yet??

45-70.gov,  None loaded yet.  Have not even shot the SP101 (still needs to be cleaned from Mfg's assembly and shipping).  Spouse is laid up following breast cancer surgery and reconstruction.  I am struggling and juggling 8-hr work responsibilities with 24/7 Care Giving at the house.

Offline Richard P

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 12:59:28 AM »
One thing that helps get the Lee 6-cav in operation ---along with proper pre-heating----is filling only the two cavities closest to the hinge first. After a few casts they should look good. Then add the next one or two cavities and lastly add the final two.
As mentioned it is easier to cut the sprues individually than cutting all at once. You should keep the sprue plate snug so it doesnt ride over the bases causing bumps on the bases. You want flat bases. After getting a 6-cav up to temperature it is easy to begin tearing holes in the bases so dont run it too fast. Finally, it does need to be handled with care. Dont slam it closed. 

Offline Drilling Man

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 12:47:16 PM »
  When i use them, (my big moulds are steel, and my furnace is bottom pour)  I fill front to back, then the next time, back to front.  I also keep the lead a bit hotter than i do with smaller moulds too.

DM