Author Topic: Ever used priceline for flights?  (Read 178 times)

Offline Conan The Librarian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • McDonalds. Blecch!
Ever used priceline for flights?
« on: December 06, 2012, 02:50:17 PM »
Have you ever tried priceline to get good deals on flights? Are the total prices what they tell you it will be? Any disappointments?

I've got a relative i'd like to drop in on occasionally and it would be nice to do it a few times a year if i can make it affordable.

Offline FPH

Re: Ever used priceline for flights?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 02:54:52 PM »
Depending on the service i your area........I am on Southwests "DING" email list.  I get notified when low rates are coming.

Offline Awf Hand

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 04:00:03 AM »
I don't travel unless it is discounted.  I've used Priceline, Travelocity, Travelworm, or a name-your-rate hotel site.  They all work pretty well and the only bad experience I had was when the reservation was made for me -block of rooms at a wedding- but that wasn't the travel site's fault.  It was just a run-down hotel with apathetic staff.

Pricing is going to be a bit higher than the big number you see when you're browsing.  There are additional fees that aren't reflected in the ticket price, but you'd pay for those anyway regardless of where you bought your ticket.  It pays to be flexible on departure times and days.  Fly out on a Friday eve, you're gonna pay more for it. Even 12 hours difference can save 30-50% on tickets.  The wife and I found an air-fare deal for our niece to come for a visit ~$400 round trip.  Her folks weren't comfortable with what we'd found and wanted specific departure times and dates so they could be there to help her get to the gate (long BS story) and chose a flight departing 6 hours before the one we'd found and returning 12 hours earlier.  They paid around $700.

One important thing: The discount airfare sites can detect in your cache that you've been browsing the same flight more than a few times.  The rates may go up tomorrow as they "know" you're becoming serious about taking that flight.  Sneaky buggers!  Clear the caches or browse with a different PC/IP.
Just my Awf Hand comments...

Offline Conan The Librarian

• McDonalds. Blecch!
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 05:06:32 AM »
Thanks for the tips. I'll give it a try. I did play around with some dates and it looks like the cheapest way is to travel mid-week and not care about what time you travel. I'm seeing differerences like $220 vs $900. This seems like it would be a great tool for retirees and for teachers during summer.

Offline scootrd

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 08:21:42 AM »
I had to fly wife back to Tyler Texas recently. I tried Priceline, Kayak and Travelocity.

Between the 3 for me Travelocity was the most intuitive to use. Priceline and Travelocity coughed out the same flight info.
Kayak (which is suppose to search all did not present the information I found on each of the other two sites.

I ended up using Travelocity. All worked out fine. No issues.
"if your old flathead doesn't leak you are out of oil"
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it." - Clint Eastwood
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjaman Franklin
"It's better to be hated for who you are , then loved for who your not." - Van Zant