Author Topic: Old cannon model I wouldn't mind having  (Read 533 times)

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Old cannon model I wouldn't mind having
« on: December 09, 2012, 05:56:02 AM »
http://hominisaevum.tumblr.com/post/28138391325/model-of-the-cannon-lauerpfeif-1506-made-for

(link goes to a page with pic and description of a nice early bronze cannon model with FOUR trunnions)

The page doesn't seem to say what size this is, but similar 16th C. Austrian/German models I've seen tend to be somewhere around 18-24 in. long and weigh maybe 50 lbs. or less.  The detail on the model shown is incredible.  I'm guessing these particular models in this period were made to show anyone interested what the finished product in full size would look like, but if you know more please post that info.  I collect good cannon models and I'm trying to determine all of the various reasons they were made.

Offline cannonmn

Re: Old cannon model I wouldn't mind having
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 06:07:07 AM »
Here's another page with more description and another view of this model.  The page should show in English, if not push the button for English.   It shows that the model is about 21 inches long.
http://www.europeana.eu/portal/record/15502/321C8B0E54A6BC1102EAB348565496EA897046F0.html

Offline steelcharge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 04:01:54 AM »
A bit too early for my liking, but I think I've never before seen one with four trunnions.
The casting detail is really beautiful, somebody really wanted the model to look good.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 06:30:23 AM »
Looks like it whould have been mounted like Mon's Meg except no iron attaching bands just cap and or stake the trunnions... at least the front ones...
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium