Author Topic: Taking a disabled friend after Grizzly  (Read 1388 times)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Taking a disabled friend after Grizzly
« on: March 30, 2010, 07:59:17 PM »
First of all, I am a  Disabled Vet.  But I have learned how to get around in the woods and not hurt myself.  I do not pick up more than 15 lbs if it can be avoided.  If I do I use techniques that do not require the use of my back. 

My friend is Obese, and diabetic.  He wants to go hunt Grizzly this spring.  OK, I will go with him.  We are going to Dicky Lake, down in the Alaska Range.  We will be going in with an Argo with tracks.  About 20 to 25 miles from the highway.

Don't know how it is going to go, but we will give it a try.     
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline jpred1

• Contributor
Re: Taking a disabled friend after Grizzly
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 11:30:17 PM »
You do have a winch for a just in case ? A 20 mile walk in grizz country or any country is a long way.Load the arco with all the backup stuff you could think of. Dont wanna read about any tragedy on here. Have fun, wish I could go.
Still dreaming of that Boone and Crocket Pistol Kill!!!

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 07:16:02 AM »
Yes, it has a winch.  We have never needed it.  We check it to make sure it works.  We also carry an extra 100 ft of steel cable.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 04:12:45 PM »
At least you will be able to out run him. ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 01:56:12 PM »
You know I never got back to this thread after the hunt.  Anyway Al's wife went along, and I rode my 4-wheeler.  We went into Dicky Lake, and had no problems getting into the Lake.  He dragged an old fiberglass fishing boat behind the Argo.  We got in there set up camp and went fishing.  Caught some nice Grayling.  Caribou were passing by all the time.  Saw bunches of Grizzlies, mostly small bears.  Some had real nice color but were too small to take.

Second day some Firemen and their families from Fairbanks came in.  I knew them, and they camped around the lake from us.  Al got mad that other people came into the lake, decided to leave.   I saw them back to the parking lot, and helped load up their gear.  I stayed and went back to the lake.  Just because other people came into the lake was no reason to leave.

Al seems to think every where he goes is a big secret and no one else should be there.  Had a good time catching Lake Trout and Grayling.
What Is A Veteran?

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 10:58:42 PM »
I always love reading your posts on hunting in Alaska.  I've always figured I'm too beat up to try hunting there.  I've been in way to many bike crashes with the worst one a drunk hit me while I was riding my Guzzi. 

Anyway I just thought it was time I mentioned that...

Tony