Author Topic: Dumb question from a non-resident  (Read 835 times)

Offline JimFromTN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Dumb question from a non-resident
« on: December 01, 2012, 07:33:10 PM »
I have a freind in eastern Missouri who says I am welcome to come out and hunt his property whenever I want.  I went and looked at the regs online and I am a little confused about the seasons.  There is a regular deer season and an antlerless deer season. Can you kill an antlered deer during the antlerless season?  Is it really antlerless only or is it what we call here in TN an either sex hunt?

Offline Ranger J

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Dumb question from a non-resident
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 02:50:26 AM »
As the name says only deer without antlers (mainly does or bucks that have dropped their antlers) may be shot.  In short if it has an antler on it's head don't shoot it during this season.  I believe this season was instigated a few years ago in an attempt to reduce the size of the deer herd mostly above the Missouri river.  Also check to see if this season is state wide or only in counties which are percieved with a  'surplus' of deer.   As I hunt only in the Ozark area I am not real sure about this.

RJ

Offline Squib

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G- S- T- and I ain't got time to bleed!
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 07:22:21 AM »
antlered bucks have spikes three inches minimum, up into whatever you fantasize a "big-boy" to be.
button bucks and spike bucks under 3" are legal.
does are legal the whole time!

there is an alternative methods season (15-25) later on that is a little bit tricky depending on the county you hunt, though for sure you cannot use centerfire rifles and shotguns (you can use centerfire pistols now), bows, muzzleloaders, maybe crossbows too.

Offline Ranger J

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 02:02:58 PM »
Don't forget atlatls!

RJ