Author Topic: Thunder Mug handle question.  (Read 1194 times)

Offline Doc Brown.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Thunder Mug handle question.
« on: December 08, 2012, 09:57:34 AM »
Would it be completely retarded to drill shallow pockets into the side of a thunder mug and slip fit the handle into pockets of JB Weld?

I was border line about to do it last night but since I have never seen or heard of it being done I changed my mind.

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
Re: Thunder Mug handle question.
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 10:19:17 AM »
JB weld has its place , but most of my experience with it is fixing more permanently what others have tried to use it on. Its not a substitute for welding        :)

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 01:34:52 PM »
If people could see pix of the mug and handle they'd probably suggest another way to do it, like drill, tap, and bolt, or perhaps welding then grinding.  With a thunder mug, at least if I were doing it, I wouldn't be at all worried about drilling a bolt holes top and bottom.  Holes are drilled in a lot of cannons for all different reasons, often for sights etc., and it doesn't seem to be safety issue.  I'm guessing the practice is ok if the hole is not too huge and if it doesn't go all the way through the wall of the cannon tube, but I'm not smart enough to give you a rule on how much of a hole is too much.

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 03:19:52 PM »
If people could see pix of the mug and handle they'd probably suggest another way to do it, like drill, tap, and bolt, or perhaps welding then grinding.  With a thunder mug, at least if I were doing it, I wouldn't be at all worried about drilling a bolt holes top and bottom.  Holes are drilled in a lot of cannons for all different reasons, often for sights etc., and it doesn't seem to be safety issue.  I'm guessing the practice is ok if the hole is not too huge and if it doesn't go all the way through the wall of the cannon tube, but I'm not smart enough to give you a rule on how much of a hole is too much.

I went up to Lowe's and was looking at some kitchen cupboard handles and considering ways to attach them. All of them would have required spacers to give enough room for your hand to get a nice handle on.  All of them are made from some kind of nickel plated steel.

I don't mind welding the handle on but I want to do it however would be best.

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 06:28:33 PM »
     I agree with Cannonmn that bolting the handle would be strong and an appropriate way to fasten the handle to the thunder mug.  Please see the photo of the large 14 to 16 inch X 4 inch diameter thunder mug Mike and I found at the Fort Ticonderoga Museum on Lake Champlain in eastern New York State in 2007.  It was really heavy, 30 to 40 Lbs. of bronze in that beast!  Looks like the square head bolts have been replaced since the late 1700s or early 1800s with hex head ones, but we are betting that rivets were not used because there is no impact damage around the four holes in the handle.  So now you have a historic precedent for attachment with bolts.  See pics.

Tracy

It was a beautiful day in June of 2007 when we visited Fort Ticonderoga on sparkling Lake Champlain.  This was the Fort that Ethan Allen and less than 100 "Green Mountain Boys" captured from the British on the night of May 10, 1775 during a bloodless night raid.  Surrounded by strategic geographical features, it played a significant role in the French and Indian War and the Revolutionary War.

Quite a chunk of bronze, this thunder mug has a large handle held on by 1/4-20 thd. bolts, at least.  The bore is 1.25" dia.  One blast from this would put the entire garrison on alert!

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 03:19:59 AM »
The handle on this mug reminds me of a door handle.  I didn't know that they bolted handles on, and I always thought thunder mugs were smaller.  Thanks for sharing.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 04:01:48 AM »
Tracy,
That mug is very cool!  Thanks for the picture.
Wasn't Benedict Arnold also involved someway in the taking of Fort Ticonderoga?
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 04:46:21 AM »
     Zulu,     Not according to Ethan Allen's account of the capture of Fort Ticonderoga.  In reality Arnold was there as an unwelcome patriot leader of a small band of men from Connecticut and a few from Massachusetts.  Historians are split about 50/50 on his role, however.  Half say it was a joint command agreement and half say Arnold was allowed to come along for the "Fun" by Allen and his Green Mountain Boys!

Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 05:16:20 AM »
One of my mug firing breech loaders has hemispherical handles welded on...  Very difficlt to handle & on my plans to replace them.  The other one's handle is elongated so it's possible to set the heavy mug down upright with one hand. 
One of my swivels is a half scale replica of one recovered from the lake near Crown Point, North of Ft Ti.

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 07:31:23 AM »
Thanks Seacoast for this info. Its very nice to know that this was done before and on such a nice looking mug. Im defiantly going to be trying to find a nice door handle.  That thunder mug is awesome. Somehow it looks very fat for only being 4" diameter and so tall.

Online Double D

• SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 08:06:15 AM »
Thanks Seacoast for this info. Its very nice to know that this was done before and on such a nice looking mug. Im defiantly going to be trying to find a nice door handle.  That thunder mug is awesome. Somehow it looks very fat for only being 4" diameter and so tall.

As the King of Typos I am reluctant point out the errors of of others along this line.  But I need the one above clarified.

Defiantly or definitely?

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2012, 08:16:39 AM »

As the King of Typos I am reluctant point out the errors of of others along this line.  But I need the one above clarified.

Defiantly or definitely?

Yes that makes for a funny typo. My spell checker didn't help me with that one. I didn't mean defiantly. I meant definitely.

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2012, 09:06:53 AM »
I saw that two but figured it could go either way.

Online Double D

• SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2012, 02:17:14 PM »
I figured it was definitely definitely, but defiantly was funny.

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2012, 03:42:58 PM »
Definitely funny,

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2012, 07:57:48 PM »

Are you simply suggesting this method of attaching the handle for a contemporary build, or are you saying this was actually a historic way that handles were attached in the late 18th and early 19th centuries?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, 02:41:39 AM »
My thing is just getting away from welds on this. In this picture they look huge but they really aren't as big as they look in pictures. I forgot to scrap that bit of spatter there. Tig welds cost me doe so thats not an option really. I love the idea of bolting a handle on. I can weld flanges on to a nice handle or onto my current handles. 

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2012, 11:46:57 AM »
I think your handle looks to small in diameter for the size of the mug.  Plus it would be easier on the hand when carrying if it were twice as large.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2012, 02:37:59 AM »
My thing is just getting away from welds on this. In this picture they look huge but they really aren't as big as they look in pictures. I forgot to scrap that bit of spatter there. Tig welds cost me doe so thats not an option really. I love the idea of bolting a handle on. I can weld flanges on to a nice handle or onto my current handles. 

Wasn't that a lot of work to polish it up (your earlier pic), just to bead blast it?  ???
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2012, 04:26:13 AM »
My thing is just getting away from welds on this. In this picture they look huge but they really aren't as big as they look in pictures. I forgot to scrape that bit of spatter there. Tig welds cost me doe so thats not an option really. I love the idea of bolting a handle on. I can weld flanges on to a nice handle or onto my current handles. 

Wasn't that a lot of work to polish it up (your earlier pic), just to bead blast it?  ???

This is a different mug all together but it was polished just as nice before it was painted bronze. I went with a oil rubbed bronze so it could pass as a black and not offend those who think a bronze model made from steel is sacrilege.  Filing and polishing this takes about 45 minutes. I do it to remove tool marks more than I do it to make it shinny.  This was my first mug on a base and I messed up a little bit. I cut off the piece used to chuck it up before I put the base on.  It was shrunk on so then I had no way really to chuck it back up and sand off the blue.