Author Topic: RIP Bob Munden!  (Read 403 times)

Offline 308Win

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
  • US ARMY-1956-1968,the rest I don't remember!
RIP Bob Munden!
« on: December 11, 2012, 07:56:17 AM »
"I found on another site that Bob Munden had passed on,he was the best shootest ever,I will miss him"

• How is your health, Bob? August, 2011
Okay, okay, I didn’t know the crew from Shooting USA’s Impossible Shots was going to tape me talking about my health. Well they had a camera crew recording my interview, but I was somehow surprised that they aired the part when I talked about my health problems. Go figure. Camera crew not do their job? Unlikely.
Well, I’ve never been shy about talking about what’s going on. Yes, my kidneys are not happy right now. I have never had a drink or puff off a cigarette, but other things can cause problems too, like growing up poor and liking to have lots of food when I could get it. In fact, as a kid, hunting for my family with guns, a bow, sling-shots and rowboat paddles that my brothers and I used to finish off wounded ducks in the lake, those activities filled the big pot of soup my mom always had ready at our house in Big Bear, Calif.

Oh yes, then an extremely busy professional Fast-Draw competition schedule followed by a very demanding contract to entertain at school assemblies – then traveling for all the other performances Becky and I have done for 42 years across the country and overseas – we got hooked on fast, fast-food from the as the then advertised “wholesome” foods from new restaurants like McDonalds that popped up and made our lives easier, and later, not so healthy.

Okay, I wore out my knees with hard-core athletics. When I was in my 40s I tried to get my knees replaced because I have zero cartilage, but I was told I was too young. Should have maybe kept looking for a surgeon, but our schedule didn’t allow that and I basically had to stop exercising regularly and ended up with what so many other people have these days, Type II diabetes. Wonderful.

Did I really know what was going to happen with diabetes? Nope. I was at the range, on stage, in the shop and on the road.

Now I know for sure that you can’t go on ignoring diabetes and eating what you want when you want – or skip breakfast. And you have to find a way to keep exercising.

I still have 20/10 vision in both eyes, don’t take cholesterol medication, my heart is good and I lost a bunch of weight, but as of now I need to start on dialysis and my liver isn’t too happy either. Oh, Man. But I’m going to do it and then move forward with trying to get my body back to reasonable shape as I continue to work in the shop, go to the range, ride my Harley with Becky and enjoy my family.

So, I am doing pretty good for the shape I’m in. Thanks for all your good wishes. The crew from SUSA’s Impossible Shots is coming back up to Montana in October to film for another season. Do I have good ideas lined up?

Of course! – Bob Munden
How much money must we spend before we learn to concentrate on the front sight?"Col Jeff Cooper"

Offline Conan The Librarian

• McDonalds. Blecch!
Re: RIP Bob Munden!
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 08:10:17 AM »
I think I'll send a card to Mrs. Munden, and encourage anyone else to do so. If you're not familiar with Bob, you missed a great shooter. Absolutely astounding. They have a web site, and I'm sure you can still buy videos.

Becky Munden
1621 Sampson St
Butte, MT 59701-3705

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 09:38:37 AM »
anyone who shoots should know Bob Munden.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     bugeye

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 09:40:33 AM »
Saw him in person , great guy and shot.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 03:52:16 PM »
He was a giant in the shooting world, he'll be missed.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 04:45:22 PM »
He could do things with a handgun and rifle that others could only dream about.
Mrs Munden was just as good!
He will be missed in the shooters world forsure.
Prayers to the Munden family.

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline Conan The Librarian

• McDonalds. Blecch!

Offline magooch

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 08:30:22 AM »
I was astounded by how Bob could operate a revolver.  Who needs a machine gun?
Swingem