Author Topic: County legislators take stand against gun laws  (Read 1094 times)

Offline Dali Llama

• Trade Count: (0)
County legislators take stand against gun laws
« on: February 13, 2004, 02:22:58 AM »
County legislators take stand against gun laws

By SHANE M. LIEBLER/Daily Reporter

BELMONT -- The Allegany County Legislature took a stand against new gun laws and free trade issues Monday in a full board session.

"It really slaps the face of the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution," Brent Reynolds, R-Alfred, said. Reynolds believes a new gun certification fee will price average buyers in Western New York out of the market.

New York Gov. George Pataki, R, has included a bill in his executive budget requiring handgun licensees to pay $100 certification fee along with $25 for each handgun owned to the state. If passed, the certification will expire after 5 years as opposed to the lifetime coverage now.

Reynolds encouraged county residents to call Gov. Pataki at (518) 474-8390 or write to Governor Pataki at Executive Chamber, State Capitol, Albany, NY 12224.

"If you look at it from Gov. Pataki's perspective, it's not going to affect anyone in New York City," Reynolds commented, calling the fee another ploy to reduce the budget crisis. "This is one issue where I disagree with the governor. I think it's a bad move."

The new certification fee would strictly applies to handguns, Reynolds explained. "This is a very passionate issue to people in rural areas like ours," he said. "And who knows what effect it will have on gun shop owners?"

The proposed budget bill would also increase the likelihood of disgruntled gun owners turning the black market, which would mean more unregistered handguns. "I think its a miscalculation on the part of the governor if he thinks we're going to sit back and take these fees," Dan Russo, R-Wellsville, said.

Public Safety Committee Chair Reynolds said he plans to draft a resolution opposing the new fees at the next subcommittee meeting.
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline Red Neck64

• Avid Poster
County legislators take stand against gun l
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2004, 03:02:21 AM »
My State of New York is $91Bill dollars in the red.Pataki cant get it from the people who take the hand outs.So we become a target for the State.Only hand guns my foot,if it does become law they can tack on,rifles,shotguns,BB guns,ammo,you name it.I hope we win this one!

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2004, 07:45:01 AM »
Quote from: Red Neck64
My State of New York is $91Bill dollars in the red.Pataki cant get it from the people who take the hand outs.
However, Pataki sure GIVE them plenty, say Dali Llama! :(

Offline RIFLERANGER

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2004, 01:03:09 PM »
From my cold dead hands..................... :evil:
"HAVE YOU HUGGED YOUR RIFLES TODAY ?!"

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2004, 03:47:47 PM »
Quote from: RIFLERANGER
From my cold dead hands..................... :evil:
That be very understandable position to take, say Dali Llama. 8)  8)