Author Topic: OUR Universe ?  (Read 478 times)

Offline Anna

• Trade Count: (0)
OUR Universe ?
« on: December 12, 2012, 12:51:01 AM »
http://www.foxnews.com/science/slideshow/2012/12/11/spaceshots-best-new-photos-our-universe/#slide=1
Mankinds arrogance never ceases to amaze me. I can see saying the universe or even our galaxy or our solar system. But this is like me saying I live on my planet earth !
This is a silly thread I know, and your probably asking ( Anna why waist yours and our time with this ? )But mankind is not destine for any sort of glory especially on this grand a scale. Ok, here it goes and I may as well say it, this is GODs universe and even his galaxy.             

He gave us this rock to exist on and we are doing a very poor job of even doing that. Being the bad tenants that we are, what makes us think  that God would even want us to spread our failing ways elsewhere ? I mean we don't have a real good history of being polite guests. And anytime a rare mineral is concerned like gold, we roll over everything like Grant took Richman. When I was a little kid I used to watch Star Trek reruns and laugh at our little pathetic tin cans barely makeing it into orbit or coming back.

And in all reality not much has changed since then. Episodes of the Outer Limits or the Twilight Zone only made this comparison look even worse. But back then for a television show at least they had a basis in science that the viewer had to understand in order to know what was going on.Other than glitzy special effects, I wonder how many kids now days could even tell up you what the science behind something like escape velocity is ? Or understand the meaning of dimensions in relation to geometry ? Where four decades ago kids were talking about this on the play ground at recess.Off on a tangent ? Not really, in order to make such boastful claims like our universe. Mankind would have to at least stop dumbing itself down as a whole for the sake of being PC.

Offline Conan The Librarian

• McDonalds. Blecch!
Re: OUR Universe ?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 05:42:58 AM »
I've always interpreted it more like "living in my neighborhood" or "my home town" or "my state" or "my country".

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 05:48:10 AM »
Like Dundee said it's like two fleas argureing over who owns the dog ...............But I think CTL is on the right track.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline bulletstuffer

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
  • Overkill begins when hair shoots out the antlers.
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 10:01:24 AM »
People have told me I live in my own little world ;)

Merry Christmas!

Bulletstuffer
I am the first to work when I have to and the first to go on vacation when I can!  God Bless America!!!

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 10:22:13 AM »
People have told me I live in my own little world ;)

Merry Christmas!

Bulletstuffer

If you are comfy in it, why not. ;)
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline finisher

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 07:32:35 PM »
A little humility is definitely in order, no doubt.

Although, being the son of a "Trekee", I also had a basic working knowledge of some those concepts, it wasn't until I spent time at high altitudes at open sea (military days) that I was truly humbled by being able to see and perceive the actual curvature of the Earth along with the movement of the stars and constellations (in actuality just the movement of the planet itself but perceived as the stars moving).

Most of my shippies thought I was crazed and they really didn't give a rats tail about being part of something so vast (most of the guys within certain communities in the military are very self absorbed). They never even thought about how few people will ever experience a sun rise at 65 thousand feet. It is amazing the things which people take for granted.

As far as I'm concerned, who ever wants it can keep this rock. I for one truly hope and believe that there are other shores.

Thanks Anna.

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 09:46:43 PM »
I don't understand how the world is going to continue a we know it.  people can not get along.  Even right here in little Fairbanks North Star Borough the people can not let things move along.  One group want no coal burning, an nother group don't want wood burning.  yet the majority of the people voted no ban on burning.  But the first two groups can not accept that they lost at the ballot box.  Now they are trying to call in the EPA. 

So if a small group like us up here can not get along how are we to expect the many differant cultures of the world to co exist.

Beam me up nScotty, I'm ready to move on.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 01:33:59 AM »
First--it is not our world.
If there are other shores---which I can't speak of since God gives no information leading to this conclusion---They will operate under the Will of God since there is only one God.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 02:03:22 AM »
They never even thought about how few people will ever experience a sun rise at 65 thousand feet.
what were you flying?   I wanted to do that when I was younger.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     bugeye

Offline finisher

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 07:40:27 AM »
They never even thought about how few people will ever experience a sun rise at 65 thousand feet.
what were you flying?   I wanted to do that when I was younger.
Mostly C-130J modified. Published ceiling is around 42,000 ft. but it's capable of much more depending on the cargo. Also, KC-130F  (tanker; will only reach these altitudes with all service fuel cells removed) and on a few occasions the H,R, & T models at lower altitudes.. I was never a pilot, just another piece of cargo. Things do change with age though. I can't stand flying anymore. I try to avoid heights nowadays as much as possible.

When I was younger, I thought I was bullet proof and immortal. I was naive, foolish, and blind. I've since had my eyes opened often having had zoned out moments where I asked myself "What am I doing here; what have I gotten myself into!?".  I've never understood how my shippies all just seemed so devoid of any emotion or wonder at all. Guess I never belonged there in the first place.

I truly hope my sons don't go the same route that I did. But it is next to impossible to experience such things outside of the military unless one is very well off or well connected.