Author Topic: what you all do for TV?  (Read 227 times)

Offline kennyd

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
what you all do for TV?
« on: December 13, 2012, 02:49:55 PM »
We have had Directtv for 2 years.  Now the bill has gone up a bunch.  Before we had Dish, and dumped them for poor service, a long time ago, Comcast. 

There are a bunch of streaming services which we know little about.  And Netflix.  The wife likes the older shows, Andy Griffith, Waltons, and some of those kinds, and we both enjoy some of the Hallmark moveis, plus watching some of the local news.    My opinion is they are charging too much for "sports" and a lot of fluff crap, and charge extra for even old movies shown on the on demand side.

There is a device called ROKU, that will pick up some of the streaming, and some of the bluray players also have a stream, apparently.

We neither one want to have to constantly fiddle with remotes to change inputs, find the right station, and then keep track of what we do.  We also need to be able to watch in the living room and bedroom at will.

Anyone have any xperience with internet TV or other options?  I could dump the whole mess and spend my time reading, googling, and gun type things, but the wife is somewhat disabled, so needs her TV.
just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they are not watching you

Offline Poopers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: what you all do for TV?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 02:53:20 PM »
Netflix is a good option for a TV lover, they have tons of shows you cant see anywhere else ( even old classics )! My wife likes TV...instead of paying cable to have commercials fed to her, we pay $11 ( I think ) a month for Netflix and she never gets bored with it.

I personally hate TV! I swear I have attention deficit disorder when it comes to TV because I just cant sit for an entire movie.

Offline Conan The Librarian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • McDonalds. Blecch!
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 05:44:30 PM »
Watch some youtubes, and occasionally rent a movie online. Otherwise no TV in the conventional sense.

Offline thumper113

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Contributor
what you all do for TV?
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 06:39:58 PM »
We got a Wii for our grandkids.  Can watch a lot of the network shows online the next day and have the Netflix on it too!

It was real easy to hook up to our wireless.

God Bless Our Troops!

Offline finisher

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 06:51:01 PM »
My wife and I gave up cable and regular TV about four years ago.

I enjoy watching a good game on occasion but I have never wasted my time following events and stats that will have absolutely no impact what so ever upon my daily life. If we go to a friends house and "the big game" is on, I just shout "hooray for our side". I've never understood "Fan Mentality". I just like to watch football or hockey on occasion just to see someone get freight trained. Hey, they gotta earn those millions they're making I think, so I wanna see someone BLEED DAMN IT!!  ;D

Anyway, I digress. Wasn't hard for me to give up the sports channels. It was a godsend to no longer have to be bombarded...no, I prefer to call it "mentally assaulted" by commercials. And we have full control over what our kids see on the screen.

We do Netflix, although I believe it has gone p to about $25 a month. The selection is all that they say and the service is great.
With the right kind of TV and a few accessories one can view what ever comes out of your PC or lap top on the big screen. Essentially, your lap top becomes your remote.

Get off of full time sports (it's just a smoke screen any way, and in my opinion, they're all fixed because there is too much money at stake), kill your cable, save about $100 a month and take control of your home entertainment. You might even (you always read me writing it) "free your mind" in the process if you haven't already.

Good luck Kennyd  :) !