Author Topic: Empty brass swaged into bullets  (Read 1600 times)

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
Empty brass swaged into bullets
« on: November 28, 2012, 12:41:37 PM »
is anyone doing this? I began to browse a copy of Cartridges of the World to see what round had what base diameter and found a 30 carbine case to have a base diameter of 355. I cut one case down to a length of 575, stuffed it with a 75 grain 32 caliber cast round nose and ran it into a 222 Remington seated die. I've no pictures but the ojive was basically the 222 shoulder angle and the weight was 125 grains. I think im hooked on swaying and will soon be making a call to CH
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Empty brass swaged into bullets
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 03:08:17 PM »
Yes, swagers have been doing what you have done for many decades. Cartridge brass is quite acceptable for making  jackets for certain bullets. One of the downsides is that the bullets usually are longer for the same weight in copper tube or commercial jacket bullets. Another is that the ogive will be incomplete unless you use a standard Point forming swage die rather than some reloading type seating die. ( an incomplete ogive is not necessarily a bad thing). A big upside is that often cartridge cases cost a bit less than commercial jackets... and in some cases you have to use a cartridge case as you can't even find, or even reduce, a commercial jacket in the diameter you need.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 03:14:48 PM »
Yep, and in addition there have been some recent posts (past year) inone of the handgun forums about using 40 S&W brass as jackets for a 44 magnum, filled with lead and comes out with a slug about 300 gns and (IIRC); pretty good accuracy too I think.

Offline Smokin7mm

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 05:30:39 AM »
I do alot of swaging both from commercial jackets and from 22RF, 17HMR & 22mag cases.  A lot of other people are using all sorts of cases to make bullets.  Lots of discussion on Cast Boolits forum.  http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?41-Swaging

Bret

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 05:37:43 AM »
i have always been fascinated  by  this
40snw  for 44... or 223 brass  in  375 ruger

but  cast  is just so simple and works so good

the 22lr brass  in my 223 sounds good
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.